"What about our walking wounded?" asked Rebecca Durrell, the Senior L.E.O. (Law Enforcement Officer) pointing to her sling.

"That's going to depend on the injury, but with the challenge facing us, I'd recommend walking wounded should stay here. It's going to be a hard trek and there may be some climbing involved. I especially want you to stay here, Rebecca. I want you to take charge of group two, while we're away. You'll be responsible for keeping everyone warm, comfortable and alive. I want at least another able-bodied person to stay with you to help."

"How are they going to keep warm?" asked Lucy.

"I've been thinking about that," Chris replied. "We'll clear Seating Area Two, move the mattresses and bedding from the accommodation deck and make a space for people to lie down in some kind of comfort. There's enough H.E.P.O.s for the entire crew and we'll just have to do our best to get them on the injured."

He turned to Fletcher before continuing, "I'm putting you in charge of rucksacks. There should be forty of them packed in with the H.E.P.O.s. Allocate one each to everyone who's coming along. We all need to carry water, food sachets and as many H.E.P.O.s as you can cram into the remaining space. We'll need two navicoms, a couple of oxygen bottles and a few first aid kits distributed between the rucksacks too."

"Ropes, sir?" Fletcher asked.

"Ropes?"

"If there's climbing to be done, we'll be needing ropes."

"Good thought, Fletcher. Pack some of the nylon ropes too. One last thing, I need some volunteers to help me move our dead outside the ship."

"To bury them?" asked Lucy.

"Realistically, I don't think we can bury them here but we can't leave them to decompose inside the Command Module."

"We can't just leave them out here unprotected," she protested.

"It's sub-zero, all the time, and there are no predators on this planet. The bodies will freeze, and we can sort out a proper burial once our survival is assured. Don't worry, they'll be fine."

"We'll be fine when we're dead too!" Lucy murmured, just loud enough for everyone to hear.

Chris gave her a look but carried on regardless, "I should also take this opportunity to tell you all some bad news."

"Bad news is just what we need!" said Fletcher, choking down a laugh.

"Well, there isn't going to be a good time for this one, and you all need to know. Our sister ship, the Uranian, the last one to leave Earth – it didn't leave. I don't have much information beyond that its voyage was cancelled due to a terrorist event. That's all I know."

A low murmur surged through the crewmembers grouped around him.

"That means that the final deployment will be Hesperian and Olympian on Proxima B, and Arcadian and us here on Proxima C. There will be no more ships coming to join us."

His last statement caused even more upset than hearing about the Uranian.

"What about our resupply?" asked Lucy.

"They're not coming. We've got Pathfinders 2 and 5 in orbit above us, what we can salvage from around us and Arcadian's cargo, providing she gets here safely."

"But we couldn't find Arcadian's beacon!" said Calvin. "How do we know they are coming?"

"We don't, not for sure, which is another good reason for salvaging as much as we can and rescuing the rest of our crew."

"We need a long-range antenna from Supply Module three so we can tell the other vessels where we are and what's happened. Maybe they can redirect and help us," Melissa suggested.

"Redirect here? That's not part of the plan. I'm not even sure if they have enough fuel to make that change," Chris replied.

"The sooner we tell them, the more feasible it is," said Fletcher. "If their propellent usage has gone to plan, there would be enough. Would take some weeks for them to get here, Commander."

"They're not equipped for Proxima C," said Chris.

"No, Commander, but none of us are equipped for losing our resupply deliveries."

"It's got to be better to pool our resources," said Melissa.

"That can be another aim for us for the next couple of days," Chris conceded. "Now, let's move with a purpose, everyone. We don't know how much time we have before nightfall and lives are depending on us."

If you enjoyed this chapter, PLEASE don't forget to VOTE. Thank you!