It only made me want it more.

“She’s pregnant?” my words croaked, begging that I hadn’t heard her wrong.

Near in tears Lisa nodded, biting her lip as she tried to reign in her own emotions.

“Then why has she been so ill?”

My question seemed to sober her up, my emotions still in tuned my mates and I could feel that she was fine. My wolf, now knowing that she carried my young, wouldn’t be letting her out of his sight as soon as she returned. I fully agreed with him.

Lisa took a shaky breath before getting down to the serious stuff. I braced myself fully for what I was about to hear, knowing that it wouldn’t be good. I was still thriving over the happiness of my mate being pregnant that I knew whatever Lisa told me was only going to bring my elevated mood down a few notches. 

I was right.

“In the heath state that your mate is in now you need to be careful, the last thing you need is for her to be under any stress which could cause her to miscarry. Make sure to give her only soft foods, yogurt, soup and such…and make sure she rests as much as possible. I don’t want to give her any medication, what with her being a shifter and not a human, but her phasing into her wolf form once ever-so-often will also do her some good. She will be more in tune to her wolf who will tell her instinctively what she will need to do to help out her pup.”

I simply stared at her, processing everything she had just told me.

“If you do that I see no reason as to why she wouldn’t be able to carry her pup under full term,” she continued.

Now that was the news that I wanted to hear, that everything would be alright. I didn’t want my mate to be in any more discomfort than she already was, but I knew as soon as I heard Lisa say to keep her away from anything stress like that I would be speaking to the brats as soon as possible. It turned out their training was about to be stepped up a few notches since I was no longer going to put up with their shit. Not when my mates life and my pup were in danger.

Licking my lips my head snapped behind me when I heard a small knock at the door. I smiled.

“You can come in, Holly” I grinned.

Having her standing in front of me was enough to my eyes to be drawn to her flat stomach, the fact that she needed to gain weight present on my mind at that exact moment.

“You get anything, sweetheart?” I asked when I took note that I couldn’t smell any food on her.

Holly shook her head, biting her lip as she moved to stand near where I was sitting. “The machine’s broken.”

I frowned at that. “You want to stop somewhere on the way home?”

“I’m fine” she shook her head as she handed me back my money. Glancing towards Lisa I saw her give me a look which I knew meant it was up to me when to tell Holly about the fact she was carrying my young. “Is everything alright?”

Taking a deep breath I nodded. “Let’s go home, sweetheart” I told her as I rose to my feet and wrapped my arms around her. I knew that as she leaned her head against me everything was going to be just fine.

On the way home my head was filled with thoughts on whether or not I should tell her. I knew I couldn’t really keep this sort of thing from my mate, I mean technically it was going to affect Holly a lot more than it would affect me body wise, but I was still having trouble grasping it myself.

My mate was pregnant. I grinned at the thought.

“What has you so happy?” my darling little mate asked as she glanced in my direction, her fingers playing with the bottom of her dress in a nervous gesture.