Reggie's Pizza

After the Nova Cronies had left, our band climbed back up to the treehouse.

We sat in uncomfortable silence until Dan spoke up.

"Guys..." he grimaced as we turned our gazes to him. "I really think it would be a good idea to practice."

"Oh yeah. We can practice those new songs I wrote." I  said, stepping forward.

Dan glanced at me like he was hiding something.

"Right... Dan?"

"About that..."

"Did something happen to my music, Dan?"

"When bitchface got into our treehouse, she spilled her soda all over the table that had your music on it."

"Oh..."

"I'm sorry," he said, and I could tell he truly meant it. Daniel McCleod may try to act tough, but inside he's just a big sweetie.

"No no... It's fine. It sucked anyways." 

"You sure?" asked Dan, wrapping his arms around me in a hug.

"Yeah. Now come on, let's practice!"

"Righty ho!" said Pan, back to his cheerful self. He pulled his warpy blue bass from against the wall and strummed a chord.

Dan glanced at me one more time, and seeing that I was okay, plopped himself down in front of the keyboards.

"What are we gonna play?" asked Hailee.

"I vote we play Vagabond." responded her sister almost the moment she'd finished talking.

"Vagabond?" asked Dan.

"Yeah, you know... 'Hello, I dunno all the reasons why....'" sang Pan. 

There was no sign of recognition on Dan's face.

"By Wolfmother?"

"Who?"

"Pan, I think Dan was in Australia that summer..." I pointed out.

"What  summer?" asked Dan confusedly.

"We had a huge Wolfmother obsession that summer- but that's besides the point. Here, I'll show you the keyboard part." I said, sitting down next to Dan.

After I'd given Dan the basics,  I picked up my guitar and waited for Hailee to play the starting beats.

Thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk.

 I began to play the riff.

Pan and Hailee had switched places; instead of Hailee singing and Pan playing bass, Pan was singing and Hailee was playing bass.

After two counts, Pan started singing.

"Hello, I dunno all the reasons why I can find the answers lookin' in your eyes. I go out walkin' all day long. Take away this lonely man for soon he will be gone. Oh, I'll tell you everythin' about livin' free!"

Pan's normally smooth voice was eerily reminiscent of Kurt Cobain whenever he sang.

Eyes closed in concentration, he belted out every word.

And you know what? We weren't half bad. We might actually stand a chance against Nova Crow.

~~~~~~

"I'm staaaarvinggggg-uh," complained Mattie from the backseat of Pan's hippie van.

"Me tooooo-uh!!!' mimicked Pan.