Forbidden Fruit

"Guys! I have to go... Er... Buy some food! Because I haven't had breakfast yet! I'll be back in like twenty minutes, kay?" I shouted at the crew, which was still climbing up to the treehouse.

"What? But-"

"Do you guys want anything?"

"Yeah, get me a Pepsi," yelled down Joey.

"Pepsi! Got it! Okay, see ya!" I called behind me as I took off after Pan and Lexi. I had to see what was going on.

As I drew nearer to Pan, I slowed. If he saw me, well, let's just say my cover would be blown.

Spy music started playing in my head- the James Bond theme? Well, okay brain. If that's what you want...

Pan caught up with Lexi, causing her to stop and face him as he grabbed her by the arms. If only I could hear what they were saying...

Quietly, I jogged closer, hiding behind a tree near them. Their words were unclear, but I still got the basic gist of what they were saying.

"-really sorry... There's something I need to tell you." Lexi looked uncertain for a moment, then seemed to decide to listen to Pan.

"Lexi... You're... You're just amazing. I know I'm s'posed to hate you, but... Well, I can't say I fully understand what you're going through, but..." Pan cut off and rubbed his foot on the ground. 

"What?"

"When I was six, my dad vanished. Just packed up and left. We never heard from him again. My mom was left alone with two little kids to take care of. As you can imagine, it was a rough time for her- for all of us, really."

Lexi stared at him receptively, eyebrows slightly pushed together.

"It was my turn to step in, to take care of the family. Mom couldn't do it alone..." Pan paused again, trying to think of what to say. "I guess what I'm saying is, you're not alone. And I really like you. I can't let any of The Fellowship know, they'll have my head. But-"

Pan's ramblings were cut to a merciful end when Lexi pulled his face close to hers and locked lips with him. It felt like I was looking at a car crash; I so badly wanted to look away, but my eyes were trapped on the scene unfolding in front of me. 

For what felt like ten years, I stared as Pan and Lexi engaged in an astoundingly long session of PDA. Not exactly my cup of tea, mind you.

After that tongue-fest was finally over, Pan and Lexi talked some more.

I was really starting to regret following Pan out here by now. The only thing I'd gotten accomplished was confirming what I already knew. Pan had the hots for Lexi. Congratulations, Sherlock.

Well, time to leave.

Slowly creeping out from behind the tree, I kept my sights on Pan and Lexi to make sure they didn't see me. Then, throwing out all subtlety, I turned tail and fled as fast as I could.

There went my childhood.

"Maggie?" Pan's voice, sounding startled.

I continued to run, ignoring Pan's voice behind me.

Suddenly, I was slammed into the earth, Pan's arms wrapped around my waist.

"Maggie..." I squirmed around underneath him, trying to get his weight off of me.

"Don't 'Maggie' me. I saw what you two love birds were doing." I hissed at him.

"Please... Just don't tell anyone," he pleaded.

"Why shouldn't I?" I had no intention of telling anyone, but I wasn't going to let him know that.

"I've known you for three years."

"You were making out with my ex-best friend."

 "She was trying to make a move on me!"

"No she wasn't! I heard you. You chased her over here and told her you liked her."

Caught, Pan looked down ashamedly.

"Now come on. We actually need to practice music." I grumped, pushing him off of me and standing up painfully. After brushing myself off, I started speed walking back towards the treehouse.

Yes, seeing Pan expressing his feelings to my enemy annoyed me, but not just because she was my enemy. Did I seriously like Pan? In all honesty, the thought had crossed my mind before, but I'd just brushed it off as hormones acting up. But now...

No. That's ridiculous. I didn't like Pan.

Yet, as I walked back to the treehouse, it was hard to ignore that little voice in the back of my head.

~~~~~~~~~~

You've seriously read this far?!?!? 

Congratulations, you win 2 million dollars! In Monopoly money, you see.

Seeing as you've been enjoying the story (I assume), I would like to recommend my friend brock1588's story, Nova Crow. It is the same as this one, only told from Lexi's perspective (and a whole lot more interesting). 

Thanks so much, and please let me know what you think!

-hippiestar