“This kingdom really is beautiful,” Linnea sighed.

“I'm sure the mountains have their own beauty.”

A sad look crossed the woman's face. “I have yet to see it. I am not allowed to go beyond the palace gates. If I do, it is only to come here. What I see beyond my window is the blackness of the cliffs.”

“Pardon me, but that's awful.”

Linnea kept silent.

“When we are married,” Cilver continued, “you may go wherever you please. I can teach you to ride horses, if you'd like. The kingdom is quite large. Perhaps--”

“Yes!” Linnea beamed. Her grip on the prince's arm tightened, then suddenly she looked away. “I mean, if you would be willing to. If you are busy, I understand.”

Cilver laughed and brought up the woman's chin. “I would not have mentioned it if I didn't mean it. Tomorrow afternoon, then?”

Linnea clung tightly to the prince's arm. “Yes!”

Cilver grew warm beneath her touch and he walked on with her attached firmly to his side. Eventually they made it back to the center of town, avoiding any questions by stepping in for a dance.

The area in front of the stage was packed earth and many of the villagers and even nobility had already taken advantage of the room to dance. Wrapping an arm around Linnea's slim waist and cupping his left hand for her right, Cilver swung the princess around in such a manner that she giggled wildly. Soon, spectators had them surrounded and even those dancing kept their necks craned for the sight of the High Prince and the Princess of Penpotia. They glided over the smooth earth, steps perfectly in sync with each other; after all, what royal couple couldn't do that much?

Applause erupted when the song ended. Those in the small orchestra even placed their instruments down to clap enthusiastically. Cilver pulled back and bowed, holding out his hand to Linnea for a slower number. Though they were both short of breath, she graciously accepted, neither wanting to waste a moment in each others' company.

Cilver slept peacefully that night, heart filled with joy. When he woke he dressed in his usual attire, something he found much more comfortable than what he was forced to wear the day before. It was early enough that the servants had yet to bring fresh warm water to his chambers, so he didn't bother washing his face and went straight to the kitchens.

Before he reached the kitchens however, he spotted the Elsward princess with her nose buried in a book just outside the dining hall. When he approached, her head popped up and she smiled widely.

“The sun is not even up yet,” Cilver said, surprised. “Are you waiting for me?”

Kieta stood, booked tucked under her arm. “I didn't know what you considered morning.” She shrugged. “And I would have hated to be the second to arrive. What reputation would that give me if I made the High Prince wait?”

Cilver laughed. “Trust me, I would not mind waiting for such a lovely maiden.”

Kieta gave a small curtsy and a chuckle. “Now, Your Highness. Don't go falling for me when you have such a radiant fiancé strolling about. But I appreciate the compliment.”

The Prince blushed. “Ah, I did not mean to sound...” He trailed off, searching for the words.

“Words escape you often, do they not?” the woman teased.

She turned her back to him and strode to the dining hall.

Cilver took another speechless moment to himself and followed. He watched as she plucked a vibrant green apple from a silver bowl. She glanced over at him and tossed him one.