Here to Stay

Chapter 5:

            The dining hall was substantially less crowded than the days before but still lively. Few guests remained: those from the forest of Elsward, the sea kingdom of Yonder, and the nearest kingdom of Darrearth. The Elsward king was having a heated discussion with a noble of Yonder, sweet wine sloshing in his goblet. Kieta sat beside him, rolling her eyes at his behavior. The Darrearthen prince, only seven, struggled against his mother who attempted to wipe a stain from his tunic. His father watched, laughing heartily. The Yonder king and queen curled their lips at the display, ordering more wine from a passing servant in thick accents. Linnea sat next to one of the four Yonder princesses, nodding every now and then at their comments and chatter.

            Cilver took his mother to the seat left of his father and then took his own to the right and next to Linnea. The blonde excused herself from the conversation with the raven-haired girl and welcomed the prince.

            “Good evening, Prince Cilver,” she said.

            “Good evening. Have you rested well?”

            “Yes, thank you. I expect my family left without issue?”

            Taking a sip from a glass goblet brought to him, Cilver nodded. “I saw them off myself.”

            The food was brought out momentarily. Instead of the feasts that had graced the dining hall previously that week, the night's meal was now brought out in courses. The first course consisted of fresh fruit and a sweet custard, which Cilver ate quickly as to speak with his father about a matter that had almost slipped his mind until he had glanced across the table at Kieta.

            “Father,” he asked, leaning over.

            The King turned to his son. “Yes, my boy?”

            “I wanted to ask you about a matter addressed to me yesterday. There is a girl here who wishes to study magic here in the capital. Would it be acceptable to you if I allow her the east tower?”

            “You are heir to the High Throne,” the older man replied with a smile. “I believe you can make those decisions. Who is this girl, may I ask?”

            “Princess Kylemore Wynn of Elsward.”

            The King choked on a gulp of his drink, covering a cough before drawing attention to himself.

            “A princess? It was odd enough of her to be... a woman learning magic. But a princess, Theophillus? What did her father say on the matter?”

            Cilver handed his father a cloth napkin.

            “She has asked me to discuss this with him, though I believed it was only proper to run the idea across you first. And she seems very dedicated to it. I showed her to the Great Keep and she skimmed through several tomes. It's quite impressive what she can do, though she believes otherwise. You would like her, Father.”

            The King wiped his beard.

            “I trust you know what you're doing and I support it, though another young princess in the castle? Will your fiancé be as supportive of this decision?”

            Cilver smiled and glanced over at Linnea, who was delicately eating a berry whilst she listened to the chatting Yonder princess. He turned back to the King.

            “I am true to Linnea. There is no cause for worry.”

            Cilver sat back in his chair just as the next course was brought out and old plates taken away. Once, he caught Kieta's eye and smiled. She replied with a subtle gesture at her drunken father. Cilver nodded, silently promising to speak with the man later that night. Perhaps the Elsward King's inebriation would assist in a pleasing answer.