Kylemore Wynn

Chapter 3:

“I am very sorry for our tardiness, High Prince,” the King of Elsward said, clutching his deerskin hat over his heart.

“Actually, I'm the one who should be apologizing,” the girl with the blue-black hair cut in, bowing her head. “It was I who was in charge of the navigation when we went off-course.”

“Not at all,” Cilver amended. “I'm just sorry you didn't have time to rest before the celebration.”

The King scratched his bearded chin. “You are too kind. Allow me to introduce my daughter, The Princess of Elsward, Kylemore Wynn.”

The princess leaned in closer to grab the prince's arm in a firm shake. Her nose wrinkled as she whispered, “Please call me Kieta. My father desperately wanted a son.”

She parted with a smile.

“I'm sure you have other guests to attend to, your Highness,” the King said lightly, clasping a hand on his daughter's left shoulder. “If you'll excuse us, I think I smelled roasted pheasant over that way.”

Cilver smiled. “Of course. I hope to speak with you again, Lord. Princess.”

Kieta broke away from her father. “Actually, if it's not too much trouble, I would love to have you show me the magic tomes you have in the Great Keep.”

“Kylemore!”

With a chuckle, Cilver replied, “It's no trouble. Tomorrow morning, then?”

“Thank you so much!”

“I'll see you outside the dining hall,” he called as she was dragged away by the Elsward king.

She turned her head and gave a quick bob, disappearing into a crowd just as more people came the Prince's side to congratulate him. Shaking hands, bowing, and thanking the dozens that spoke to him for the next hour exhausted the man, sending him to the hide deeper into the village the first chance he got.

The nobles didn't go far into the residential area of the village and most of the village-folk themselves were near the stage, where the food and dancing were. He told himself he would just walk for a few minutes to clear his mind of discussions. What was supposed to be minutes turned into about twenty, as he found himself daydreaming again.

“Prince?” cut the voice of Linnea through the sounds of village tranquility.

Cilver jumped. “Ah, I'm sorry, Do you need something, Princess?”

Linnea shook her head. “Oh, no. I was just seeing if you had abandoned the festivities.”

Cilver ran a hand through his mess of curls. “Simply trying to catch my breath, is all. Are you enjoying yourself, Linnea?”

“Yes, thank you, though I believe it would be more enjoyable if the guest of honor were present.” She smiled, reaching out a hand. “I'm a bit faint from the excitement, myself.”

The prince stepped to her side and wove his arm to hook about hers.

“Then would you object to a casual stroll?”

“Of course not.”

Picking up the hem of her skirt with her free hand, Linnea followed Cilver's lead as they made their way into the rolling hills of the kingdom beyond the village homes. They could see the port from the tallest hill, everything around them dusted in color of Spring flowers. The ocean sparkled like glass, waves barely brushing the sand in white. Behind them, the noises of the celebration still rang and the river ran between the long grass.