The Coronation

Chapter 2:

When the sun came up, Cilver was already awake. He sat in his bed, reading by candlelight but absorbing few of the words. Often, he would have to backtrack after not remembering several pages he had mindlessly flipped through. His coronation was still hours away, so the Prince dressed himself in his normal attire and slipped from his room to the dining hall.

Linnea and her brother among three other nobles Cilver could not recognize at that moment were seated at the long table. They ate mostly in silence, speaking only to give orders to the staff who went swiftly in and out of the kitchens.

When Linnea saw Cilver, she looked up from her plate and smiled sweetly. Her eyes went to the empty seat to her right and back up to the Prince.

“I trust you slept well, Princess?” Cilver greeted as a servant pulled out his seat.

The blonde dabbed the side of her lips with a napkin. “Yes, thank you.”

Ryon leaned over his plate to smile at Cilver. “I am so looking forward to this morning's coronation, Prince Theophillus. You must be excited for much an honor. It is not every day one receives the title of Heir to the High Throne.”

Cilver nodded. “Yes, I have waited for this day since I can remember.”

“And then, soon, your wedding!”

Linnea blushed, nearly choking on her drink.

Cilver chuckled awkwardly. “Ah, yes. Will you be staying until then?”

“My father has been discussing the arrangements with your father. I believe he wishes for Linnea to remain here for the months before the ceremony. The rest of us will take our leave as to not be in the way and make our own arrangements prior.”

“I would never dream of you being in the way. All of you are welcome for as long as you please.”

Ryon sat back and made a low cough.

“Thank you for that kind offer, but as the future head of my own kingdom, I must not be absent for long.”

He rose from his seat and held out an arm for Cilver to shake.

“I must get ready, High Prince,” he said, white-blonde hair bobbing with a short bow. “As should my sister if we are to be presentable to the future High King.”

Cilver laughed. “No need for endless formality with me, Prince. If I could, I would take my crown in nothing but my hunting boots and a fleece tunic.”

A twitch of a smile crossed Ryon's mouth. “Quite.”

Cilver looked through the corner of his eye at Linnea, who was trying to bury her quiet laughter in a glass of dew ale.

“If I may, shall I escort the Princess to her chamber once she finishes her meal? It seems to me she is not quite done.”

Ryon glanced down at his sister sharply, who had averted her eyes back to her plate, smile gone.

“If it is no trouble, Prince Theophillus.”

“Of course not.”

“As you wish.” With a sweep of his hand, Ryon left, heels clinking dull down the eating hall.

“Are your brother's moods always so abrupt?” Cilver asked once Ryon was out of sight.

Linnea picked at a piece of bread. “He has always been protective over me. Before I wed, he expects me to always be within his sight. I don't believe he was too pleased with the idea of me staying here until the wedding, either.”