Chapter Thirty Two

One Year Later
Lagos

"Wanda, what do you see?" Steve asked.

The reality of their mission seemed simple. Find Rumlow and make sure he didn't try to steal any biological weapons from a lab in Lagos. Of course, this was only if their intel was correct.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." Wanda spoke while looking around.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means . . ." Steve trailed off.

"Cameras." Wanda finished.

"Both cross streets are one way."

"So, comprised escape routes."

"Look at our little Wanda. She's all grown up." Catherine teased and swore she saw Wanda smirk from across the tables.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute." Wanda answered him.

Catherine's eyes shifted to the Range Rover. It was very clear that it was out of place. "It's bulletproof."

"Shouldn't be a problem. I can move things with my mind." Wanda pointed out.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Natasha told Wanda.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" Nat asked.

The past year had been strenuous. Between Ultron and trying to keep tabs on Rumlow, Catherine barely had any breathing room. This was what she had signed up for though. It beat sitting around and doing nothing. She listened to her com quietly as Steve instructed Sam to use Redwing to tag and look inside a suspicious garage truck.

It all happened quickly. The realization that Rumlow didn't intend to attack the police, but the actual infectious disease center. Everyone was on their feet in seconds.

"Catherine! Get everyone out of here now." Steve yelled into her com.

She withdrew the gun that was hidden behind her back and began to avert the crowd to a safer area. From the corner of her eye she could see several yellow box trucks entering into the building and many armed men filing out of them. It wasn't good. Once the people were cleared out of the area, she began to head towards the building.

A bullet whizzed by her head, narrowly missing her and she knew she had been made. She brought the gun up in front of her and fired at the first guy she saw. It was risky shooting in an open public place like that, but she didn't have a choice. It would become riskier if they got their hands on any biological warfare.

"I got seven hostiles!" Steve yelled.

"Make that five!" Sam corrected him.

"I've injured one. Maybe. They're entering the building." Catherine told them.

"Rumlow's got the biological weapon." Steve said.

Shit!

"It looks like he handed it off to one of his men. There's four of them and they're splitting up." Sam said. "They're headed into a civilian area."

Catherine took off running. She had no idea where the men were, but she could see Natasha hightailing it on a motorcycle in front of her. She figured her best bet was to follow her. It was extremely crowded in what seemed to be a market area. The men could have been anywhere. She slowed herself down when she saw two men aiming guns at Natasha. One of them seemed to be holding the biological weapon.