Chapter Eighty One

John didn't move. He didn't even acknowledge that Catherine was standing there. He just stood in the square with a blank look on his face, the blood from the shield dripping on the ground.

"John." Catherine spoke again, her voice slightly raised. "Take a walk."

This time, he had heard her. He took a step towards Catherine. His eyes narrowed, his body tensed. She tried her best not to react, but she didn't want to be his next victim.

"Look around John." She whispered. "People have you on camera. Do not make this worse for yourself."

He stepped away, glare not leaving her until he had turned away. She caught Sam and Bucky's gaze and all she could do was nod. They needed to handle John, once and for all. Her attention went back to the dead Flag Smasher. Although, they weren't the 'good guys,' he hadn't deserved such a gruesome death. Neither did Lemar. It was a fine line.

She could hear the sounds of sirens approaching and she knew what was about to happen next was not going to be good. There would be a full investigation. She imagined there would be protests for John to be stripped of his Captain America title. Hell, they would probably want him arrested. Her phone started going off and she searched her pockets for it. When she pulled it out, the name across the screen was almost enough to send her phone flying.

Catherine cleared her throat. "Secretary Ross, to what do I owe this pleasurable call for?"

"What the hell is going on Stark? First you break a terrorist out of prison, now this. Please tell me the footage I'm watching is fake?" Ross demanded.

"We didn't break Zemo out. He escaped on his own." She lied. "And I wish it was fake. I'm not surprised though. Walker was...off his rocker. You guys need to pull him out immediately. He's too unstable."

"Catherine!" She heard Sam yell into her com. "We need back up!"

She hung up the phone instantly. She knew shit was serious when Sam and Bucky needed her of all people for back up. A million things were running through her head as she ran toward their location. Sam had been the voice she heard, not Bucky's. Was he okay? Was he hurt? Was he even alive? She had never run so fast before. She needed to know if they were both okay.

One of her worst fears were realized when she ran inside the warehouse and saw Bucky lying on the floor, not moving. She froze. Every part of her wanted to run over and check on him, but she couldn't. She had to help Sam who was currently being pinned on the floor by John. His Falcon wings had been ripped off and thrown across the floor.

As John was about to bring the shield down to attack Sam, Catherine threw all her body weight at John, tackling him to the ground. He scrambled to stand up, stunned to see her standing there. He came at her viciously. His fist moved fast, but she able to somewhat deflect them. She ran at him, grabbing onto his torso, throwing herself upwards and wrapped her legs around his head. It had been a move Natasha had taught her and this was the first time she had ever used it against an opponent.

She brought her elbows down against his face, when he wrapped his hands around waist. Her threw her as hard as he could causing her body to connect with the ground. It stunned her for a few minutes. Her vision was fading in and out. She was sure she had a concussion as she rolled to her stomach to see John and Bucky engaging. Relief washed over her. He was okay, for now. And then Sam joined in. Somehow they managed to pry the shield out of his hands.

"It's mine." John said through gritted teeth.

Bucky grabbed John, throwing him against the shield that Sam was holding and it sent them all three to the floor. Bucky was the first to stand as he threw the shield down next to Sam. He ran over to Catherine just as she mustered the strength to stand up.