Chapter Ten

Catherine had never seen James so furious before as he walked, no, stormed towards her from across the room. She swore she could see the anger in his eyes, but she had no idea what she did wrong.

"What the hell were you doing talking to that man?" He demanded once he was within earshot.

"He was talking to me, but that doesn't matter. I can talk to whomever I please." She told him.

"What did he say to you?" He asked.

Catherine cocked her head at him curiously. Why was he so hellbent on avoiding that particular man? Oh, what was his name again? Stark! "Nothing really. He just asked if I was having a good night. The only weird thing he said was that I reminded him of someone. Then again, I look like half the brunette women in this very room."

James squeezed the bridge of his nose for a second. She was killing him between her attitude, her rambling and how damn good she looked. She was absolutely infuriating, but absolutely intoxicating at the same time. "He's dangerous, Catherine."

"So, are we and most of the people in this room. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need some air." She said before wrapping one hand around her drink, the other gathered the skirt of dress.

He watched her go, knowing she needed the space, but he still kept a watchful eye on her. She walked out onto the balcony that was less populous than the ballroom. The nighttime air felt cool against the skin that exposed. Her eyes gazed out over at the nighttime sky, taking in the stars, the moon and the city lights. She certainly didn't get that view back home on the base. She knew she wasn't entirely alone. She had been trained to know when someone was following her.

That was why she wasn't surprised when James walked up next to her with one hand shoved into his pocket. He didn't say anything at first. He just admired the view.

"I think I could stand out here all night." She admitted to him with a soft voice.

"It is beautiful." James agreed while looking at her. He opened his mouth to say something, but he couldn't figure out the right words. "Catherine, I'm sorry. I just...you're special-"

"So, I've been told. My entire life in fact. I don't feel very special when I lived my life in a fortress." She interrupted him.

The guilt returned. He wanted to tell her desperately, but didn't. "You are special. In your own way. And your life could be worse."

"I can't imagine it being any worse than it already is."

She had no idea what he had endured. The soft sound of a violin being played ceased the conversation. It was a slower song being played and a dangerous thought entered James' mind. "Do you want to dance?"

"Dance?" Catherine asked, surprised.

"You do know what dancing is?"

"I do. I just never figured you the dancing type." She admitted.

He couldn't help, but smile at her. He extended his fleshed hand towards her. "I might surprise you, doll."

Catherine took his hand carefully. It felt rough beneath her's, but she didn't mind. "Doll?"

"Don't worry." He told her softly as he wrapped one hand around her waist and the other hand held her's closely. "It's a term of endearment."

Catherine felt like she couldn't breath as James swayed her slowly in the room. It sounded corny, but it genuinely felt like they were the only two people in the room. She rested her head against his chest. At first he tensed, but then slowly he started to relax. She closed her eyes and listened to the sound of his heart beating steadily against his chest. The sound reminded her that he was real and that she wasn't living in some sort of dream.