Chapter Four: Runaway

────────────────────────────
-'ˏ Nyla's Pov ˎ'-

╭                                             ╮
Billy Hargrove's House
Friday , 11:18 p.m
╰                                             ╯
────────────────────────────

Nyla.

That one sounded the best so I nodded my head at him.

He gave me a soft but tired smile in return.

"Okay then Nyla. Time for bed." The boy said while getting up.

I got up too before I made my way to a corner to sit down. I leaned my head back against the wall and closed my eyes.

Floor boards creaked like someone was doing an awkward shuffle which caused me to look up.

Billy stood there with his hands tucked awkwardly into his pockets with a weird look on his face.

I stared back at him feeling awkward too.

Does he not want me to use this corner? Maybe I should find another..

Before I could think about it too hard he pointed towards the bed.

"Do you not like it or something?"

I shook my head in confusion. "Yours?"

We weren't allowed to touch others or other peoples things in the lab. The punishments after were horrific, and I didn't wish to offend him after he took me out of the woods.

"Yeah but I can sleep on the chair if thats what is making you uncomfortable?"

I shook my head at him. Not wanting to anger him I slipped into the bed and stiffly leaned against the headboard.

He looked frustrated with me but turned the lights off anyways before sitting in the chair that was placed in the far corner of the room.

It was silent except for his breathing.

No screams or cries from others. No shuffling coming from down the hallway. No doors being slammed open or shut.

Just silence. Too much silence in fact. The lack of sound was actually making me uncomfortable.

I readjusted my position along the headboard and closed my eyes hoping I'd be able to sleep. But it just induced horrific flashbacks.

Flashes of the monster between worlds danced under my closed eyelids. They were so vivid I could even hear it. Not just the monster but my own screams too.

Until something reached out and touched me.

My eyes flew open in shock, causing me to smack my hand over my mouth to muffle the oncoming scream.

"What happened?" The concerned boy asked me. "You're crying." He said while his hand slowly came up to brush off the tear that had began to slip down my cheek.

I simply scooted to the other side of the bed and ignored his question, not knowing how to respond in a way he'd understand. I could show him, but he'd probably freak out if I did.

If someone didn't close the gate. It would come into our world. And more people would die. Both test subjects from the lab and civilians who had no idea of the oncoming danger. So I made up my mind to leave when he wasn't breathing down my neck anymore.

I laid down comfortably in a way that would appease him, even though it made me feel uncomfortable to be out in the open. He sighed before resuming his spot in the chair.

I had managed to keep myself awake by listening intently to his breathing. When it had slowed down for a while and I was absolutely sure he was dead asleep, I slowly got up to walk to the singular window in his room.

I could use my powers to break it but I knew I'd feel bad if I broke the nice boys things. So I silently opened it and hopped out. Pausing under the sill to make sure he hadn't woken up from the sound of my feet hitting the ground. When nothing stirred, I bolted.

Running into a portion of the woods behind a line of houses I allowed myself to slow down. I continued to walk until I felt both safe and tired enough to sit down.

────────────────────────────

I woke up to early morning sunlight shining through the trees. Quickly sitting up I checked for danger as I had carelessly fallen asleep. All was safe until the squealing of tires rung through the air.

A familiar sound was heard as a door was opened and aggressively shut.

I scrambled to my feet in fear of what was about to come chasing after me. Slowly slipping behind a large tree I vigilantly watched for movement.

A large man walked through a patch of trees angrily. He was wearing a tan uniform of some sort, complete with a shiny golden badge pinned to his shirt.

His face was pulled down in an angry scowl as he walked.

"Cmon kid I know you're out here." He muttered while swatting at a low hanging tree branch.

"God damnit." He said as he finally shoved it out of his way. "El you SAID she was out here."

A young girl gently walked through the path he had created. She was looking at the ground so I couldn't see her face. But her hair was cropped short and clearly in the stages of growing out.

"She is.." She mumbled back to him.

" She mumbled back to him

A/N- My mom is NOT pleased with me right now LMFOAAOAO

A/N- My mom is NOT pleased with me right now LMFOAAOAO. She asked me to come to her lunch with her co workers and I told her no bc I am a busy woman. Kidding I just had to run a couple hours worth of errands for my job and then drop off my school paperwork, and she forced me to come anyways even tho I told her I wasn't dressed for the occasion AND I SWEAR HER EYES WERE SHOOTING ABSOLUTE DAGGERS AT ME WHEN I SHOWED UP WITH MY STRANGER THINGS SHIRT ON IM SO SURPRISED SHE DIDNT GUT ME ON THE SPOT

id show yall the fit but if this book were to blow up and my face was on it n someone recognized me id die