𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐚𝐭𝐞

Start from the beginning

Her revolver is used to, in a way, symbolize her relationship to the Joker. First, because it is a weapon, a very fast and deadly one at that, and second being the artwork seen on the gun.

Every time she fires it, it's chamber rotates to show the words Love and Hate alternating. This shows that the relationship she has with The Joker is on a thin line between love and hate. It's meant to be love, but it's so twisted and perverse it also borders the line of hatred.

It's one of her most prized possessions.

Noticeably down by the discovery of the object, her shoulders sink, her eyes glued to the amazing artwork of her gun. Her Mistah J got everything right on it, the details and everything. She should've married him when she had the chance to. Bella and Charlie's yelling coming from downstairs muffles and her vision blurs with upcoming tears as she sees the words "Love" and "Hate" winding in the palm of her hand. Memories of love and joy crashes down on her.

It was Harley Quinn's first birthday with the Joker, and it had been raining nonstop for two full days. Through the gloomy weather, the Joker and his helpful henchmen helped put this elaborate birthday party for the newest member to their team. It took place in their lovely home, an abandoned and torn down amusement park in the center of Gotham city.

Before they went out for the night, her Buttercup had another gift he wanted to give her, one that was just as deadly as his smile. Her second gift was just as beautiful as the first, a black and red two-piece costume. Harley Quinn was freshly reborn, having it only been two months since she went from Dr. Harleen Quinzel to the courageous, cunning, remarkable Harley Quinn, and so when she saw it in it's box, she felt a little frightened. Sure, the pretty costumes and fancy jewelry gave her loads of self confidence, and she was embracing her inner Harley Quinn whole heartedly, but a big part of her was afraid when the 'boss' took her gift from the box and handed it to her.

It's cold metal stung her hands a little.

But it was so beautiful, and yet she couldn't stop herself from shaking at the mere thought of holding a loaded gun.

"It says Love and Hate on the cylinder," he informed her, his unnaturally green hair slicked back neatly. "I thought you'd like to have a pretty weapon. I can't have my Harley walking around the city with an ugly little thing, now can I?" 

"I love it!" Harleen giggled and held the gun close to her chest, putting on false confidence. In truth, she was scared it would fire on her at any minute. The cold metal pricked her chest as she held it to her bare skin. She cocked her head to the side as a question popped in her head. "Say, why does it say that? I mean, why love.. and hate?"

He took the gun from her hands and looked it over, alternating the cylinder delicately with his finger tips. "Well, doll..," he started off, aiming the gun to his chin with a wide grin. "If you're gonna be with me," he paused and used the exact word Harley liked to use whenever describing the relationship, "forever, you'll find out that sometimes.. you love me, like today, and other times, you'll hate me."

Harley placed a hand on his leg. "I could never hate ya, Fruitcup," she said with a comforting smile.

"Harley, Harley, Harley," he repeated her name, causing her smile to flatten. Fear striked within her as she tried to figure out whether or not that's a bad sign. He simply looked at her and laughed, "Sooner or later, you will hate me. Everybody does."

There's that laughter. The same laughter she'd hear on the news in the middle of the night when Dr. Quinzel preceded her name. The same laughter that would wake her up out of her sleep and scare the daylights out of her. And yet, deep down.. she knew that he was only using that very same laughter to hide how he was truly feeling. He always put up the facade of distaste and annoyance with her whenever people were around, but she knew better. He didn't want her to know that she had such an effect on him.