.the house elf's highest law.

.war is a slippery slope. what would you do? becomes what will you do? becomes my god, what have you done?.

Regulus paced a trail in the floorboards of our bedroom waiting for Kreacher to return.

I had watched him for a while, but my tired, sore body couldn't stay awake, and I dozed off.

It was the kind of sleep where you are awake enough to hear what is going on around you, but too asleep to move or talk.

A fitful sleep, with no real rest.

But finally I was lulled to sleep by fingers stroking gently through my hair.

As I slept, a soft melody flowed through my dreams, calming them, turning away the nightmares. It was a gentle song, but it had a ring of loneliness to it.

And when I woke, that haunting melody was flowing all around me. It's melancholy sadness filled the room.

I noted Regulus's absence, and quietly crept down the stairs to the drawing room, following the music.

The sound was enchanting. It was so beautiful, and sad, that it reminded me very much of the boy who played it.

I peeked around the door, and saw him. His back was to me, but I could see his face in a mirror that hung on the opposite wall.

His eyes were closed, and his body flowed with the swelling of music. All of the worry lines were gone from his face. His fingers danced across the keys, creating a sound so beautiful, so raw, so real that I never wanted it to end.

I stood in that doorway just watching him play. It had been too long since he last touched the piano. Since I last heard his music. I watched him, transfixed by the melody, and by his complete ability to get swept up in it. I felt myself getting washed away by the sweet sound. His music spoke to my soul in ways normal words could not. It always had.

If I had been able, I would have sat there and listened forever. But the song ended, and he opened his eyes and caught sight of my reflection in the mirror.

A soft smile tugged at his lips as he stared at me.

"It's been ages since I last heard you play." I said, quietly.

"I needed a distraction." He shrugged, and pulled the lid down over the keys.

"I know." He had been pacing a hole in the floor before I fell asleep. I was glad he had found a way to get the nervous energy out. "I haven't heard that one before."

"It's because I just finished writing it." He gestured to the music sitting in the piano, and I noticed that the notes had all be written in by hand. "I've had the melody in my head for a while."

"You wrote it?" I exclaimed in awe.

"Yes." He replied simply, taking the pages in his hands. He held them carefully like they were a precious treasure.

"It was beautiful." I remembered the longing my heart felt listening to it. "I don't know how you can create something so lovely."

"It's quite easy when I have such an inspiring muse." He let a small smile slip through his guard, and it warmed my heart and made me blush.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, really just curious to know how long Kreacher had been gone.

"A few hours?"

"Goodness. Have you been playing this whole time?" I asked in surprise. His fingers must be cramping.

"Nearly." He didn't seem at all fazed. "I've wanted to write this song for a while, but have been putting it off. It seemed as good a time as any."