.constant fear.

.the quickest path to self-destruction is to push away the people you love.

I hurried to the library, sitting far in the back, away from where I normally sat. I didn't want to be bothered.

I'd missed my first class of the day, which unfortunately for me had been Herbology- my worst subject. But I'd hurried there after my meeting with Professor Dumbledore and Professor Sprout had given me an extra day to do a make up assignment. But it meant using my free period to do it.

Sadly it was labor intensive and required several research books that I had never heard of before. And my mind was not staying focused on the reading. It kept drifting to Regulus. I couldn't wrap my mind around what was happening. Why he had cut me out, only to very suddenly want back into my life.

It was frustrating, and I didn't have time to worry about it. There was more at stake than my feelings.

A sharp noise echoed off the stacks, making me jump, and I stared up into the stormy gray eyes of Sirius Black.

He had slammed a book down on the desk to get my attention. From his expression I could see that he was still upset with me.

"What do you want?" I asked, letting my eyes travel over him lazily.

"To talk." He replied through clenched teeth.

"I don't have anything to talk to you about, Sirius." I said harshly, leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms.

"Well now that isn't true, is it?" He narrowed his eyes.

"Obviously you have something on your mind."

"Is Regulus a death eater?" He all but blurted out.

It took all I had not to react. I would not be the one to share that information. It wasn't my place. And quite frankly, I didn't want to deal with Sirius's reaction to that news.

"Wow. Straight to the point." I observed, yawning a little. "You're not going to try to flatter me a little first?"

"Drop the cheek and answer the question." He sneered, crossing his arms and leaning against the nearest shelf.

"How would I know?" I shrugged. I knew full well my nonchalant behavior would just piss him off even more.

"Please." He spat. I could feel the fury radiating off of him. "With parents like yours, you and I both know how you would have such information."

That comment made my blood boil.

"I wouldn't be so quick to launch into a critique of my parents." I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Mine aren't Death Eaters."

He was right. As much as Walburga and Orion bought into the Pureblood mania craze, they had been very careful to not join the Dark Lord's ranks. They were verbally supportive of him, but seemed to want to retain some deniability in case things went south with his movement.

"That you know of." All I wanted to was plant some seed of doubt in his mind. "If I remember correctly, you up and left your family. In the process you forfeited the right to know anything about what they do."

"Stop." He yelled, slamming his fist against the book shelf. "Stop reminding me of what a disappointment I am."

All I could do was raise my eyes at his outburst. It wasn't out of the ordinary. Regulus was the cool and collected one. Sirius had always been more fiery. More aggressive.

"Then stop acting like I'm the villain in your story." I replied sharply.

"Just answer my damn question, Cassiopeia. I don't know why things have to be so difficult with you." He moved closer to me, his hands braced against my desk, his face awfully close to mine.