.the ministry ball.

.some of us never found time to be happy, because we were too busy trying to be strong.

The night of the ball approached rapidly. Everyday leading up to it, I wrote Regulus a letter. I hadn't heard from him all summer, and I hoped against all hope that he was safe. My worry increased with each passing day that I didn't hear from him. I knew that he would see me with Rookwood, and not understand why we were together. I couldn't bear the thought of him feeling like I had moved on from him.

My mother, as usual was readying me for the ball. The only other thing she did aside from plot with my father against all humanity was ready me for social events. I always felt like I was a doll that she could dress and do up whenever she pleased.

However, it was the one ball that I thoroughly enjoyed. The summer solstice. It was the one time in the year when I could wear something that wasn't in our typical colors of black, and green. This year, I was wearing a white lace dress, with red flowers adorning my hair like a crown of fire. I truly felt as if I looked beautiful, and for once wasn't hiding behind colors of darkness.

She finally had finished, and left to ready herself to leave. I descended the first set of staircases in the manor, drawing the attention of my brother, father, and Rookwood, who had come to accompany me to the ball.

He and my father had taken to each other instantly. Both being incredibly ambitious, and selfish. They both cared about power, and used every resource to acquire it.

Rookwood trailed off from his conversation with my father as soon as he caught sight of me on the staircase. Instantly, he was mounting the stairs, stopping on the first platform waiting for my grand descent. I could see the eagerness in his eyes to loop my arm through his; a possessive sort of gleam in his eyes. He wasn't different from any of the men in my life. To him, I was a possession to be owned, put on a shelf, and showed off to the people of real importance in his life.

My heart missed Regulus desperately. He was the only one in my life who didn't use me to gain something.

Rookwood bowed, as I reached him. "You look remarkably stunning, if I am allowed to say so." He observed, kissing my hand and looking up into my eyes.

"You are allowed to pay me compliments whenever you wish, Augustus darling." I purred, looking at the ground bashfully.

"There is no compliment that could do your elegance, and beauty justice." He declared. It took all of my willpower to keep myself from rolling my eyes. His antics were too much. I desperately wanted to shove him down the rest of the stairs.

"Then I suppose you will have to keep reminding me." I lied through my teeth. He escorted me to the bottom of the stairs where we joined my parents and brother.

A queasy feeling rushed through me as Rookwood apparated, with me at his side. I never liked the feeling, and it had taken a lot of time for me to adjust to it. But once we arrived in the atrium of the ministry, it was all worth it.

If I had never been to the Ministry of Magic before, I would never have recognized the grand chamber that I stood in. It was absolutely breathtaking. Solstices were significant in wizarding lore, and as such, celebrations of the holidays were part of our custom.

I had never seen such intricate decorations before. levitated in the air was a net of purple summer blooms. Silver vines intertwined the flowers, giving the appearance that they were twinkling. The fountain sat in the middle of the dance floor, many waltzing couples surrounding the "Magic is Might" statement.

The blue water flowed from the fountain around the room, filling goblets with whatever drink the bearer desired. There were more flowers than I had ever seen in my life. All bright, and beautiful. Iridescent balls of light were hovering above the room, reflecting off the flowers and casting a purple glow throughout the entire atrium.