chapter seventeen - junior

▪︎ alex's pov ▪︎

the next morning, i was getting ready to walk to school. i put the pepperoni pizza lunchable i bought yesterday in my lunchbox, putting an ice pack under it.

i zipped up my lunchbox and looked around, making sure i didn't forget anything. when i had made sure that i had everything i needed, i put my backpack on my back and my lunchbox in my hand. i walked out the door, locking it behind me.

it was yet another chilly, overcast december day, but i didn't mind it. that was my favorite kind of day. some way through my walk, i adjusted the alcatraz beanie that sat on my head.

today was the day i'd hopefully get quackity jr. back from sam and abby. my heart dropped at the thought of how distraught (y/n) would be if sam and abby did something to quackity jr. (y/n) told me that they sleep with the plush every night. it gives them so much comfort.

when i had finally arrived at school, i headed to the cafeteria to get breakfast since i didn't have any before i left, and there were a few minutes before the warning bell rang. i got a chocolate brownie for (y/n) and a cinnamon roll for myself.

i sat down at a table, and just browsed twitter while eating my cinnamon roll.

i decided to make a tweet:

"imagine being a baby, all they do sleep, cry, and evade their taxes lmao"

soon after i posted the tweet, the starting bell rang and i headed over to geometry class. when i got there, i saw (y/n) at their desk. they had the dog plush i got them yesterday with them, and they looked pretty nervous.

i sat down in my desk. "hey, is everything okay?" i asked in a gentle tone of voice so i wouldn't startle them. (y/n) shook their head. "what's wrong?" i questioned.

"i'm worried about you confronting sam and abby about quackity jr," they explained, their voice wavering, "and also i didn't sleep very good last night because quackity jr. wasn't there, and i'm worried if sam and abby did something to him and i won't get him back. i know it's stupid to feel this stressed about a stuffed animal but i can't help it."

i frowned. "it's not a stupid thing to be upset over," i reassured, "he calms you down, of course you'd be upset that you don't have him. also, your feelings are valid, never ever forget that buckaroo."

i pulled (y/n) into a hug, patting their back. then, class had finally started. all we did during that class period was take notes on how to find the area and circumference of a circle.

then the bell rang. i knew (y/n) was gonna be nervous for english class, and their body was already starting to shake.

"do you wanna be carried?" i offered. (y/n) nodded. even though people would give me looks whenever i carried (y/n), it helped them feel safe and that's all that mattered to me. people's judgement doesn't even come close to that.

once we were close to the classroom door, i set (y/n) down and took their hand in mine instead. they were apprehensive about stepping into the room, and i could tell.

"sam and abby aren't gonna do anything to you or habibi under my watch," i promised. that gave (y/n) enough courage to walk into the classroom, and i followed right behind.

the two girls glared at (y/n), and i returned the glare right back at them with an added middle finger. 

after that, they didn't do much, mostly because today was a "no talking" day. we had to read a passage in a textbook, and answer questions on a worksheet about the passage. it was easy because all of the answers were on quizlet.

mrs. jenkins didn't mind people eating in class, so halfway through the time, i gave the chocolate brownie i got at school breakfast to (y/n). they silently thanked me, and i browsed twitter. turns out my tweet ended up getting #babiesareoverparty to trend worldwide.

eventually, it was time to go to history class. "you doing okay?" i checked up on (y/n) as we walked together. "better than i was in geometry," they responded, "but i'm still nervous about lunch."

"i promise quackity jr. will come back," i comforted, "he'll have his duck rights again." i smiled at (y/n). that seemed to help them a little.

i let go of (y/n)'s hand when we reached the history classroom, and we sat down at our desks. mr. cook just lectured, but thankfully he didn't call on me or (y/n) today.

the class period went by so slow yet so fast at the same time. i was just as worried about quackity jr. as (y/n) was. though they did have habibi, it just wasn't the same.

lunch rolled around, and i had to gently coax (y/n) into walking with me to the courtyard. they were very nervous and overwhelmed. i stroked their hand with my thumb as we walked together.

at our lunch area, i told (y/n) to sit down with habibi. "i don't wanna be alone alex," they whimpered. i sighed sympathetically. "come with me," i gently ordered.

they followed me like how a duckling follows its mother. i found sam and abby sitting down at a table on the other side of the courtyard. when we were close to the table, i motioned for (y/n) to stay behind me.

"hey," i said in a loud tone to get their attention. "what do you want?" abby asked angrily.

"you know what i want," i growled, "you took something that belongs to (y/n) and i'm here to get it back."

"the stupid duck?" sam asked, laughing. "it's not stupid for them," i snapped, "that duck is a comfort item for them. (y/n) needs it!"

"you know what else needed it?" abby asked. i didn't respond. "the trash can," abby laughed.

oh no they didn't

a/n: so it's 11:30 pm and my school starts in a little over 8 hours from now (the first google meet is at 7:55 am, school ends at 2 pm). i'm really nervous about it, especially since i'm shy. im going to the meets for my odd numbered classes (1,3,5,7). the meets for the even classes are on tuesday.

i'm just hoping the first day will be easy, and there's a high chance i'll update either really early in the morning tomorrow, during breaks between my google meets (there's 30 minute breaks inbetween each meet to do "homework" (which i don't understand why it's still called that since school is at home now) but i'm 99% sure that there's not gonna be any homework on the first day), or both

thank you for reading! ^^