Chapter 29

When I woke up the other half of the bed was cold and empty, and I felt my heart aching a little. It was ridiculous and in a way also ironic because when I had first slept in this bed it had been me to leave without saying a word.

I looked around. The last time I had been too busy freaking out to pay attention to anything but the excessive amount of exposed, naked skin.

Now however, I let my gaze wander across the room, just to realize that there wasn't really anything in it besides the bed, the two nightstands and an armchair with a small table next to it.

The room was huge, and the ceilings were tall and almost intimidating. The room was modern and stylish, but it didn't feel as cozy as the apartment of his parents.

It felt like one of these staged homes, real estate agents show to their clients and if it hadn't been for the single framed picture of him and his family, one could have thought this was just a guest room.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't realize how one of the three doors had opened.

"Good morning.", Damien said quietly while waiting in the doorway.

He looked worse than ever, as if he hadn't slept all night and again I had a bad conscience.

I had slept surprisingly well, except for the nightmare, having completely forgotten the fact that his little brother was probably still out there, maybe even in danger.

"I am sorry I left. I just got a call from my dad. There is still no sign of Graham, so they called the police. Again."

Graham wasn't my brother, in fact, we hadn't even had a real conversation yet, but I could feel his pain as if it were my own.

I wanted to get up and hug Damien. I wanted to make him feel better and my fingers twitched already like I was ready to get up and grab his hand, but something stopped me and all I said was: "I am so sorry."

I had heard this sentence so many times before in my life and I knew myself that it didn't make anything better but still, I didn't know what else to respond.

I felt helpless, and I hated it.

"My mother is barely keeping it together anymore. Clary is on her way already, but I need to go to the office really quick.

There is something really important going on and we can't delay this meeting, it's way too important. I know you don't like being pushed around and I usually take care of Charlie on the weekends, but would you mind taking Charlie to my parents apartment?

And you are free to stay there, of course. I am sure my mother would be happy to see you. And Clary as well."

His voice sounded so soft and he looked almost fragile and nothing like the Damien I knew.

I was taken by surprise by him actually asking me to do something, but I felt myself nodding. Now it was even harder not to throw myself in his arms but instead of jumping out of bed, I slowly climbed of his bed.