Chapter 1

heyooo...
I really feel like wattpad isn't what it used to be but here I go and I will keep publishing new chapters even through no one reads them haha...
❤❤🙄

Celia grabbed my hand and squeezed it hard.

"You are going to find a better job. I mean look at you. You are pretty, smart, and confident. If they don't want you, it's their loss. Not yours.", she tried to comfort me. "8 rejection letters within 2 weeks and you still think it is them and not me?"

I didn't know if I should cry or laugh. Apparently companies in Pittsburgh weren't really into hiring single mothers with unfinished law degrees.

"It is totally them. I mean these idiots didn't even invite you for an interview. If they had they would have seen that you are perfect for any job.", she complained and pushed me off my chair. Then she deleted all the emails I had just gotten and closed my laptop. Hey! There could have been something important on there!", I shrieked and wanted to open the laptop again, but Celia shook her head.

"Come on. What could have been on there? A coupon for McDonalds?" I laughed.

"Maybe." I stubbornly crossed my arms. "I love McDonalds."

"Too many carbs and fats, honey.", she grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

"Says you? I saw you drinking a large triple chocolate milkshake last week.", I responded with raised eyebrows.

She flushed but then put her hands on her hips. "That was different. Derek got it for me. And you know what they say. Do not look gift horses in the mouth.", she defended herself and sat down on my bed. I chuckled.

Derek was her high school sweetheart and they had been together ever since even though Celia decided to move back to Pittsburgh with me while Derek had stayed in New York for a little longer.

We had all gone to high school together here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and then we had all applied to NYU and much to our surprise we had all gotten in.

But after a couple of things had happened that changed my life drastically, I had decided to move back to my hometown so my parents could help me out with everything and Celia, who had been my best friend since middle school, hadn't wanted to leave me alone so she came with me.

We had shared an apartment close to my parents' house while we were still in College but now Derek was back, and they were taking the next step and were moving in together.

It had taken me a while to convince her that I would be fine without her, but she still visited me at least five times a week, if not more. Usually though we didn't meet here because I spent most of the time working as a waitress in a little restaurant downtown or at the hospital.

It wasn't me that was sick though. Hell, I wished it were me, not him. As if Celia had read my thoughts, she asked: "How is Charlie?" I winced.