Chapter 24

The rest of the day flew by in a whirlwind. Hades and I sat together in the study and talked, then at lunch we had our meal on a blanket in the new garden. He took me on a tour of the kingdom from the sky- his trusty horse-drawn chariot guiding us along every different area. I read from Gray's Anatomy for a few hours while he finished work and cleared his schedule for the next several days, and then we had dinner at a table he conjured in his study, the fire's flames warming my tense muscles.

Hades promised that the moment we were wed and I took my place on the throne, I would gain immortality. Once I had that extra protection, we could leave to see my mother in Olympus and begin the search for my father. Every hour that passed without confirmation that he was okay made my anxiety grow, but I knew that I would be no help to Hades as a fragile human, albeit one with powers.

We'd talked about getting me lessons for my magic, too. Hades had suggested that I work with Thanatos, as he was highly skilled and had an affinity for teaching. I was excited to push the limits of my new abilities, healing people being my ultimate goal.

That night, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay beside him and sleep on the couch while he worked. But I knew that having my own self-identity and freedom was important. I didn't want to become someone who needed a lover to survive. If I were anything like my mother, I knew that falling in love would be intoxicating. If Hades and I were meant to be more than just partners on the throne, I wanted it to be something healthy, where we thrived together or apart. So I gave him one last hug, lingering a few extra moments to inhale his scent, and said goodnight.

The look on his face told me that he was feeling the same as I was. Happy, hopeful for the future of the kingdom and its safety, and excited for tomorrow when we would say "I do" and finally bring the decades-long agreement to fruition.

"Goodnight, Callie. Dream of me." He whispered as I walked out into the hall.

I hoped I would.

---------------------

I did dream about Hades, and it was the first pleasant dream I'd had since before my mother had appeared in my room and shattered every bit of normalcy in my life.

Hades and I were walking on a white, sandy beach with bright blue, crystal-clear water moving beside us. Our hands were intertwined, and I could feel the heat from the sun warming my skin.

"Can't believe you got me here." He smiled down at me, and I could see the happiness in his eyes even through his dark sunglasses.

"Life wasn't meant to be lived alone." I replied. I snaked my free hand around his arm and put my head against his shoulder. We walked in silence for several more minutes, allowing the beauty of the beach and ocean to soak into every one of our senses. I felt more peace and happiness than I ever had.

I awoke abruptly as my handmaiden knocked and entered my bedroom.

"Good morning, miss. How are you feeling today?"

"Nervous." I admitted, swallowing hard.

"I've seen over the preparations, and they're exceptionally beautiful. Today will truly be a glorious day that we will all remember forever."

I hoped she was right. Yesterday had felt so perfect, and I was ready to find my dad.

She hurried into my closet and returned a moment later with the dress my mother had created for me. It was floor length, made of white silk and gossamer, with one shoulder of silk and the other nearly see-through, dotted with embroidered flowers. She reached for the hem of my shirt.