chapter ten

~~ y/n's pov ~~

3 hours goes by quickly with good company. clay and i talked for most of the flight to texas, including a very heated debate over which jolly rancher flavor was the best. i tried getting him to watch tangled with me but he refused every time. i was also tormented with a photo of me sleeping on clays shoulder which he insisted on sending to the group chat but i wore him down, so he didn't.

as we got off the plane for the layover, all the nervousness i had resurfaced. clay bumped into me playfully and gave me a reassuring smile.

"don't worry y/n, everything's gonna be great."

i took a deep breath as we walked out of the gate. we grabbed my massive suitcases once again and then wandered the airport, looking for nick.

after 20 minutes of no luck, i decided to text nick again.

y/n- HELLO?!?? we can't find you anywhere

i heard a thump next to me, but i was mid sentence so i didn't look up. as i sent it i noticed that my suitcase had fallen over and clay was gone.

it didn't take me long to find him though, because he was wrapped in one of the biggest hugs i had ever seen. i picked up the second suitcase and wheeled them over.

"get a rooooom" i said as i set the suitcases by my feet. that got their attention and they finally broke the hug, with slightly teary eyes.

"oh shut up y/n you're such a bully" nick said with a grin. we gave eachother a quick hug and started on our way.

as the boys caught up i took another photo, but this time including all of our shoes and suitcases.

"i got new shoes guys, what do we think?"

-

"okay so we are 100,101 and 103... but that means someone's alone. nick why did you not get 102?" clay asked. i glanced at him quickly, trying to scoot into the seat while he was distracted.

"it was already taken, and these were the closest i could get- what are you doing y/n?" nick asked.

"umm sitting down?" i answered innocently. i did NOT want to be sitting alone on such a long flight.

"i know how badly you wanna be with clay but you had him all alone for 3 hours, it's my turn" nick said to me with a toothy grin as he pushed me out of the seat and into the isle across from them.

"and it's not even the one next to you guys? what the hell..." i muttered under my breath, completely ignoring what nick was implying. i sat down 2 seats away from them and sulked. they gave me heart hands but i turned my head dramatically.

i wasn't really mad but i was sure gonna let them think i was.

a random girl came and sat down in the seat next to me. i gave her a smile and offered her some gum as the plane started. she took one and introduced herself as emma.

-

"hey y/n, i don't mean to alarm you, but those guys keep looking over here, do you know them?"

i was staring out the window daydreaming when emma's voice snapped me out of it. i glanced over to where she was mentioning and saw she was talking about clay and nick. they were whispering about something, and clay was obviously very embarrassed by it.

i laughed and nodded my head.

"yeah they're my new roomates. the one in the white hoodie stupidly bought this seat for me instead of a row of 3 so i got separated." i explained to her.

"ohhh i gotcha. what about the blue sweatshirt? he's kinda cute" she whispered and we giggled.

"yeah i agree, i don't know though, he doesn't seem really interested from what i can tell" i whispered back and she rolled her eyes.

"god boys can be really stupid sometimes can't they."

we let out a laugh, resulting in some 'shushes' from people around us, making us laugh harder.

i glanced over to see clay and nick staring at us; i made quick eye contact and then broke away again. i still had to act mad at them even though i was having a great time with emma.

the plane started its descent as emma and i swapped phone numbers. she was going to UCLA next year, so we were gonna make plans to get lunch sometime. she managed to slip out into the isle quickly so i mouthed a bye and blew an exaggerated kiss. she returned it and walked off the plane.

"you seemed to have a good flight y/n" nick said to me as i stood up, but i ignored him and stood silently.

"oooh cold shoulder nick, nice work" clay joked but he got the same treatment.

nick laughed at him and he grumbled something under his breath. i walked off the plane without looking back, but i broke into a big grin.

we left the gate and my eyes scanned for the last member we had to meet. my eyes finally landed on george, awkwardly standing by a pillar in the LAX airport.

i raced over to him and gave him a big hug.

"Y/N! i'm so happy you could come with us, this is gonna be so fun" he said with a big grin. he looked over my shoulder and let out a big gasp.

nick and clay were coming, massive grins on their faces. they had a big group hug, and i secretly took a picture. i figured this was a moment they would want to remember.

nick waved his hand at me to join but i looked away and stared at the ceiling.

"cut it out y/n you know you want to join." clay said to me but i continued to stand separately.

they pulled apart and george looked at us confused.

"y/n? are you mad at them?" he asked me.

"yeah george i am. they left me all alone on the flight here, and never once tried talking to me." i said and crossed my arms. i had let out a couple laughs as i spoke but i tried to regain my character.

"oh yeah you were sooo miserable; george she literally became best friends with the girl sitting next to her. i'm pretty sure they have a lunch date planned." nick groaned and i tried so hard not to laugh.

i grabbed george's arm and pulled him towards the baggage claim before i broke out laughing.

"you're not actually mad are you?"

"oh god no, i just wanted to make them feel bad." i glanced back at them to see them rolling their eyes and laughing. my eyes settled on clay and a light blush set on my cheeks. his laugh was so cute, and the light in his eyes shined when he laughed hard enough was enough to stop me in my tracks.

"ouuuu you're blushing! don't tell me you already have a crush on one of them." george teased at me and i groaned.

"no... i don't..." i said as i reached down to grab a bag. he got the other one and we started walking back.

"don't worry y/n, i'll find out which one and be your wingman. like it or not."

a big grin settled on my face as we got back to clay and nick and i looked around at all 4 of us; standing together.

this was the right choice.