Chap 23 - Breakup

Riya's POV

"Rudra..." I wrapped my arms around his waist, and gently rested myself on his chest, saying, "I know that I didn't spend enough time with you because of my busy schedule. Your dadaji doesn't like me either. But I know where I was wrong. Divorce her, ok? Let's apply for marriage as soon as you get a divorce."

I paused and then continue "And I will take all possible efforts to please your dadaji. I won't put you in any sort of dilemma no matter what happens."

'That old fool doesn't have many years left to live, so it doesn't matter whether he likes me or not! Everything will be in my control after he dies.' I thought to myself.

"What do you think about all this?" I asked Rudra, pressing my face against his chest.

"You sit up first." Said Rudra. He helped me sit straight up and said,"In fact, I am here to discuss something important with you today."

I was delighted. "I knew you too are planning on it! Don't you worry, I will think of a way to persuade your dadaji."

"No, Riya, you misunderstood me." I froze on hearing this. However, I didn't want to give up and struggled to ask,"What... do you mean?"

Hearing the words goodbye to each other, I felt as if my whole world was collapsing.

"You... want to break up with me?" I had been quite confident about myself and our relationship. It never occurred to me that Rudra could fall in love with another woman, even when he got married. Yet everything between us changed in just a span of few days.

'It is all that bitch's fault!' Though cursing Mittali in my head, I pretended to be all innocent and delicate in front of Rudra.

I then asked, "Why, Rudra? Am I not good enough for you? Or is it because... you have fallen in love with that woman?"

"Yes." Rudra nodded without hesitation. Rudra's bluntness surprised me.

After Rudra left me all broken, I made a promise to myself that "Rudra Oberoi you will repent for this your lifetime." I will make your life hell. You will live but won't be happy with your life.

Rudra's POV

I frowned a little. But when I thought about Mittali and my feelings for her, I managed to speak out.

"Riya, you are a good girl. All these years we have spent together have indeed been truly happy times of my life." Though I started with some nice words, Riya was clever enough to see through what would follow next.

She forced a smile and said,"Don't mention it. The years I have spent with you have also been the happiest times of my life. Whatever I have done for you, I did it all willingly."

"I know." I nodded lightly. "Riya, I have been reflecting on our relationship these days, and I am afraid things between us have somehow become routine. So... I think it's time for us to say goodbye to each other."

Riya asked, "is it because... you have fallen in love with that woman?"

"Yes." I nodded without hesitation. All the color on her face was drained off.

"Riya..." I wanted to strike while the iron was hot, but Riya certainly did not allow it. She stood up and said,"You... Please don't. It's late. I have to go to bed."

She tried to escape from the situation. She was not ready to end this relationship. It was hard for her to be eliminated from my life.

I grabbed her arm, "Riya, running away is not the answer."

"Enough!" Riya replied back with anger, "Rudra, you are very well aware of my love for you. And what about that woman? You met her just a few days back and now you feel certain that you are in love with her? How ridiculous is that!"

She looked at me innocently, and asked,"If you think I will be a good wife, why do you want to break up with me? Did that woman force you to do it?"

"No, she didn't." I continued looking at her face, "I asked for your permission before marrying her. I decided to marry her only because you agreed to it. And I also promised you that I would get a divorce from her and marry you after a year."

Upon hearing this, Riya held me tightly in her arms and nodded in a yes. She said, "Yes, you promised me. So, Rudra, you just can't dump me like this."

I didn't push her away. I sat there coldly in silence. When Riya seemed a little calm, I continued, "You have always been paranoid and anxious ever since the day I got married. To begin with, you kept calling me every few hours. you even deliberately leaked your whereabouts to the media. And now... you leave no chance to speak ill of my wife. I don't know what else you have been doing behind my back."

"You misunderstand me." She said,"I thought I wouldn't mind you getting married to another woman. But now that you are married, I simply cannot take it. I am okay with the fact that I can only be your second wife once you divorce her. What bothers me is that you live with her. You see each other every day. I'm scared that you might just fall in love with her. If that happens, what will I do?"

Riya cried and complained,"Rudra, you say that I have changed. But what about you? Haven't you changed?"

"Yes, I know. This is why I don't blame you." I nodded slightly and continued,"I take half of the responsibility for the change in your behavior, so... tell me what you want and I'll compensate you in the best manner possible."

Riya laughed, and said,"Do you think I am with you for money? Rudra, I have a job. I'm not as rich as you are but I can support myself. I won't leave you no matter what compensation you plan on offering me."

I frowned and said,"Think twice about my words."

Riya cried,"It's all that bitch's fault. If it weren't for her, we would be just as good as before. She stole you away from me."

Hearing Riya curse Mittali again, I lost my patience. I pushed Riya away, and said,"You don't understand my point yet. The reason I am breaking up with you has nothing to do with others. It's about us."

It was at that time that I discovered Riya's true self. I realized that Riya had pretended to be a perfect girlfriend in my presence. I just started walking towards the door but before opening the door I turned back one last time facing Riya and said "think about my words." and then open the door and walked out.

**********************

मेरे कलम से लफ्ज़ खो गए सायद

आज वो भी बेवफा हो गाए सायद

जब नींद खुली तो पलकों में पानी था

मेरे ख्वाब मुझपे रो गाए सायद

***********************

मोहब्बत का नतीजा दुनिया में हमने बुरा देखा

जिन्हे दावा था वफा का उन्हें भी हमने बेवफा देखा