Chapter Forty-Five

Kam was unconscious for the entire procedure and didn't feel a thing.

The machine powered down and the bed ejected from the large cylinder. Kam was given a serum that would wake him up. As the fluid circulated his blood stream, he slowly blinked his eyes open.

"How are you feeling?" Casey asked.

Kam didn't answer immediately. He looked around the room and became more oriented. He felt different, almost like being in a lucid dream. He lifted his arms and saw his white skin for the first time.

"I feel like I'm in someone else's body," Kam replied.

"Don't worry, the feeling will pass," Casey informed.

"Can I sit up?"

"Yes, but go slow," Casey said. "Here, let me help you. Sometimes people experience slight vertigo and nausea, but there are no stitches or anything to break. From a biological standpoint, you're perfectly healthy."

Kam sat up and looked at his new hands, his new skin. "I need a mirror," he said.

Casey walked over and handed Kam a small mirror. Kam grabbed it and stared at the face looking back at him. He was now a cute Caucasian man with wavy blond hair, smooth complexion with no facial hair, blue eyes, chiseled bone structure, and an athletic build. He pulled back his gown to take a look at his private parts.

Kam couldn't help but laugh. "This is so weird," he said, now staring at his perfect smile. "I can't believe this technology exists. How many others here have altered the way they look?"

"It's as common as Botox," Casey replied. "Haven't you noticed everyone here is gorgeous and smooth?"

"I guess I wasn't really paying attention. Wait, does that mean Cara has had work done?"

"I can't say specifically, but if she lives here and she's flawless, then I would suspect she has."

"But she was flawless before she lived here."

"Well, it's not like this place just magically appeared the day of the meteor impact, we've had this technology for years."

"Why hasn't this been released to the public?" Kam asked.

"It's simple really. This project was funded by rich people, for rich people. They're not necessarily looking to sell the technology, they're looking at it selfishly as a means prolong their lives. Think about it, they're have ungodly sums of money, but there are two things money couldn't buy: happiness and time... until now."

Kam couldn't help stare at his white skin. He still held the mirror in front of him, moving his head in all directions and making funny faces.

"Okay, so now what?" Kam asked.

"I would like to run a series of non-invasive tests just to ensure everything went smoothly."

"Wait, I probably should have asked this before, but can things ever go... unsmoothly?"

"Anytime you start tinkering under the hood, there's an infinitesimally small chance of some abnormal reaction. But such cases are extremely rare and completely fixable, so there's nothing to worry about."

"Okay."

"Once we're done with the tests, Asia can escort you back to your room. You may want to take a shower, get something to eat, rest... it's really up to you. As far as everyone in here is aware, you are now Chris Pratt."

"What if people ask me something that I should know the answer to? Is there some info sheet I can study?"

"No need, it's all in your head. I have uploaded a package of permanent information. All you need to do is think about it, and you'll have access as if it were a real memory."

Kam thought intently and said, "I'm an actor."

"Dude, seriously, do you not know who Chris Pratt is?"

"I don't watch a lot of movies, mostly documentaries," Kam responded."

"Jurassic World."

"I saw Jurassic Park."

"He was in the reboot, it came out later."

"Guardians of the Galaxy?"

"I'm not much into superhero movies, although I did enjoy Black Panther."

"Chris, you're a famous actor," Asia said, "but nobody in here will be impressed with you. You basically got in because you're married to Katherine Schwarzenegger."

"Is that Arnold Schwarzenegger's daughter?"

"Yes."

"Well, it would make sense that he's here, that guy is a living legend."

"Everyone is beautiful, rich, intelligent," Asia said. "If you want to succeed in here, you have to be a good person that people want to spend time with. So my biggest advice is to be nice."

"But, you're not nice," Kam replied.

"Why do you think they send me out into the real world?"

"Wait, why did they send Chris Pratt out into the real world?"

"People are free to come and go as they please. This isn't a prison. I think he is one of those adventurous types and is out exploring nature."