Chapter Thirty

In the morning, Kam and Tyler hid while the others went about their daily routines. During morning meal time, the group pretended to drink water.

Working the fields with bated breath, the workers kept looking over at the guards, waiting for them to keel over. Fortunately, they didn't have to wait long. The plan began to work. The first guard dropped to his knees, clutching his throat. White foam bubbled out of his mouth as he gagged for breath. Another guard quickly ran over to see what was the matter, but within a few steps, he too had succumbed to the same fate. Collapsed in the dirt, eyes locked in a thousand-yard stare, both guards were now on death's doorstep, completely incapacitated.

Unsure what to do, many of the prisoners remained where they were, waiting for someone to take action, while others jumped at the opportunity to revolt. They rushed over to the soldiers and removed their weapons and keys. A group crowded around, holding out their hands and one by one their shackles fell to the ground, forming a pile of tarnished iron.

"Where's Kam?" one of the prisoners asked.

"I'm not sure, but we should wait for him here," another responded. "We have no idea what's happening elsewhere on the compound. We don't know if everyone drank water this morning and if they are having the same reaction."

"I agree," someone concurred. "These men are still armed and extremely dangerous. Until we know for sure, we should remain here."

The group grew anxious, which didn't prevent them from gorging on berries. Within fifteen minutes or so, Kam and Tyler came out to greet them with the rest of Tyler's squad.

"It's over," Kam informed. Everyone turned to look at him before cheering in celebration. "You are all free now."

There was a lot of hugging, crying, and dancing as it was a very joyous moment that many didn't ever expect to happen. They were a family. They had all shared this incredibly trying situation together, which would undoubtedly bond them for life.

"All hail King Kamaru!" someone shouted. The crowd cheered. They all broke out into a song like they were at church. A chant broke out, "King Kam-ar-u. King Kam-ar-u. King Kam-ar-u."

It was indeed a happy moment. Kam was so pleased to see the joy on everyone's faces and felt a great sense of pride that he had contributed to this moment. He especially liked seeing a smile on Ukari's face, but he had one more surprise for her that she was sure would delight her.

The plan to poison the water worked brilliantly, taking out the entire squad without having to engage in combat. The bodies were rounded up, dumped into the large solitary confinement pit, then set on fire. Tyler's crew had been busy searching the entire grounds, looking for things of value as well as soldiers and other personnel who had yet to succumb to the poison.

Kam walked with Ukari, showing her around the camp. She had been there for nearly a decade and yet there were still many parts of it she had never seen. It felt surreal to be walking around so freely on the compound without fear of punishment. Ukari was forever grateful for Kam entering her life and freeing her. Just being around him made her eyes well up with joy. He was her saviour and felt as though God had sent him to answer her prayers.

"My whole life, as far as I can remember, has been confined to a tiny space," she said. "I was never allowed to leave those walls or see beyond them. Others would describe them, but to see them with my own eyes... it's overwhelming."

"I think you're really going to like what I have to show you next."

"What is it?" she asked.

"You'll have to wait and see."