rest of my life .27

nini woke up to see ricky sleeping with his head on the bed as he leaned over his chair. the girl smiled to herself as she looked at how peaceful ricky was.she softly placed her fingers in his hair and brushed them through his curls. the boy slowly woke up and gave nini a soft smile, "hey.. good morning angel."

"mmm.. good morning," nini softly said. ricky looked at how tired nini's eyes were and felt his heart drop. every time the boy woke up and he realized how sick nini really was and that it wasn't just some terrible nightmare.

"are you hungry or anything?" ricky asked, but nini just shook her head. she looked over at her nightstand and pointed towards her bible, "you want me to grab that for you?"

nini nodded her head with a tired smile and ricky happily grabbed the bible for her. the girl spotted over in her bed to make space for her boyfriend. she patted the empty space next to her side and indicated for ricky to lay next to her. the boy watched as nini flipped through the pages of the bible, trying to find a specific page.

ever since ricky found out nini was sick, he's spent every moment he can looking at her. it was as if he was trying to remember every single detail about nini before she becomes a memory or just pixels in a photograph.

"ricky?" nini softly asked, snapping ricky out his thoughts. ricky cleared his thoughts and forced and a smile at the girl.

"uh sorry.. yeah?"

"can you read this passage to me please," nini asked as she looked up at ricky's eyes. she noticed how teary eyed ricky was starting to get and scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "ricky.. what's wrong?"

"hm?" ricky asked and quickly wiped his eyes. the boy tried to hide his sadness by letting out a chuckle, but nini saw right through it. "nothing... nothing's wrong."

"why are you sad?"

"i'm not.. i promise," ricky reassured nini and forced a smile. ricky grabbed the bible out of nini's hands and tried to change the subject, "uh..so what'd you want me to read?"

"1 corinthians.. passage 13 and lines 4 through 8," nini told him as she started to close her eyes. she snuggled her head on ricky's chest and listen intently while he read to her.

"love is patient, love is kind. it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. it does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs," ricky read aloud. he looked down at nini who was smiling as she closed her eyes, "love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth..."

"..... it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. love never fails," nini said as she read with ricky. the boy looked down to see nini looking up at him with a smile. ricky lowered his head down and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"i loved that passage," ricky told the girl with a smile, "i see why you quote it a lot."

"promise me you'll still read it when i'm gone?" nini asked ricky. his head shot up from the bible and he looked at nini with fear.

"neens.. don't say that, please."

"ricky..."

"nini.. you know i don't like to hear that."

"baby...it's gonna happen eventually," nini softly said, "it's inevitable."

"no..you never know," ricky exclaimed, "what if your treatments start to work again? or what if you somehow push through this -"

"ricky..stop.."

"no!" ricky cried as tears started to stream down his face, "why are you saying this stuff? you're supposed to be the optimistic one."