Hvitserk sighed in defeat, knowing Freya must have been right. "Archers!" He shouted out and the archers drew their bows, "Loose!"

They released their arrows, but none seemed to touch the warriors hidden in the woods, causing Freya to feel uneasy as she exchanged a look with Hvitserk.

It wasn't long before the Sami began to shoot more darts their way. It stopped briefly, only to have the men begin getting shot at from the back.

"What do we do?" Hvitserk asked her and Freya cursed under breath.

"Go back!" She shouted out loudly, "Run! Go! Cover! Regroup!"

As they began to run together, they watched as many of their men were knocked down.

By the time Hvitserk and Freya arrived back to Ivar, they found Harald's forces retreating. "We are lost," Harald told the group, a defeated expression on his face.

"Where's Heahmund?" Ivar asked worriedly as he glanced around.

"Your Christian's dead," Harald answered coldly before walking away.

Freya sighed, exchanging a look with Hvitserk before they both climbed onto Ivar's chariot to leave.

____

"You were too clever for your own good," Harald complained as they all sat in his Great Hall together days later, "We had the advantage and we lost."

Ivar was laying on the bench of the table Freya and Hvitserk were sitting at, looking bored. "As I remember, you approved the plan," He reminded the man in a calm tone.

Harald walked over, taking a seat beside Ivar. "Up until that moment, he proved yourself a good tactician. I believe in you. I might not be so quick to endorse your plans next time."

"You do as you see fit, King Harald," Ivar replied casually, clearly not caring about what Harald had to say about their failure.

"Ivar, Uncle Rollo once told me on his ship on our way back from the Mediterranean, he said that if I ever needed his support, all I had to do was ask," Hvitserk explained and Freya scoffed, refusing to believe a traitor like Rollo would be willing to help them.

"What do you think?" Harald asked, looking down at Ivar. He sighed, leaning forward in his seat when Ivar didn't respond. "Come on! What do you think? Do you want the Franks to help us?"

"I think you ought to leave at first light tomorrow," Ivar spoke up, a smile forming on his lips as Hvitserk laughed happily and stood up.

"I would like to go as well," Freya spoke up as she rose from her seat.

"I would like you to stay here with me," Ivar retorted, causing Freya to turn and glare at him.

"Need I remind you that I am my own person and if I want to go with Hvitserk, I shall go with Hvitserk," She snapped at Ivar, shooting him a glare before walking in the same direction that Hvitserk had.

"Be careful of those two," Harald spoke up as he looked down at Ivar, "You intend to make Freya your queen, but it would seem her heart belongs to another."

"Shut up," Ivar snapped at Harald calmly before closing his eyes.

______

As the ship sailed away from Harald's kingdom, Freya sighed as she sat underneath the tent that had been set up in case it rained.

It wasn't long before Hvitserk entered, causing her to immediately look up at him. He moved closer to her and sat beside her. He leaned forward and kissed her, only to have Freya slowly pull away.