Chapter 188: Golden Age (EP. 03)

They must be asleep.

Aiden surely have guessed right—with the reigning silence just outside of the bathroom, he knew his blue eyed wife is already tucked in beneath the sheets, the light emanating from the lamp giving a dim glow on the nightstand.

Towelling off the remaining droplets on his body, the fire king sighed in contentment, tremendously glad he have gotten a well deserved bath. Though it is a ridiculous time to bathe, it was required anyway. He cannot hop on the bed idly clad in sweat.

Aiden dried the remaining driblet from his damp locks. After making a bee line to the changing screen, he slipped on a pair of pajamas and an additional satin robe, oddly not unleashing a tired yawn yet. He shouldn't have drank that mug of coffee.

The fire king tip toed over to the serene bassinet next to the bed and smiled, poking a head closer to get a better look at the undulating bodies of his children. His gaze steered down south to their tiny socked feet, then back up to their small clasped hands.

Aria's nose scrunched up all suddenly, the little princess beginning to stretch her limbs with awakening, curious green eyes meeting her father's. Aiden's breath hitched, and he gulped, knowing he have awoken the sleeping girl by accident. Much to the fire king's surprise, she didn't wail or throw out a fuss.

Hi daddy.

"Good evening, baby girl," He greeted sweetly, being as gentle as he could while he scooped her into his arms, a hand supporting her head, "Papa's sorry he awoke you."

"How are you, then? Had a nice nap?" He got a coo as a response, "That's great. Did you behave for mama while papa was away?" Aria babbled gibberishly, "Hmm, really? Did you reduce your kicking?" Aiden playfully bantered.

The little girl turned quiet.

"Can you try to go back to sleep, please?" He pleaded softly, "If papa has to rock you back and forth, he will. Don't cry and wake mama, I can tell your mama is just as exhausted."

Okay!

Squeezing her lids shut, Aria hilariously tried to resume her slumber, her cheeks puffing out and for the first time Aiden noticed, his baby princess have inherited her mother's nose structure.

Oh well, I tried and failed.

"You really are a light sleeper. Looks like it's just the two of us now," He sat on the edge of the bed and hoisted up the child's head to his shoulder, "Stay comfortable in there. Papa's just going to—yawn—take a nap of his own."

"Go ahead, I'll take her."

His head bolted up right, and he felt a pair of lips kiss his cheek. Cuddling close, Elsa laughed at her husband's startled reaction and greedily wrapped her arms around his torso, pouting, "Hi."

"Hey yourself," Aiden offered a goofy smile, "I seem to be waking everyone up. Sorry."

"Don't be," Elsa yawned, "What took you so long?"

"I had to take a bath so you would allow me here," Aiden teased. Elsa lightly slapped his shoulder and defended, "I can hold you smelling like the training grounds for all I care."

"Huh, really, Mrs. Fireheart?" Aiden jokingly challenged, wiggling his brows.

"I can prove myself quite well, lover," Elsa smirked, inching her face nearer, "Really, exceptionally well."

Now overly flustered, Aiden hid his burning face away, "Our daughter is literally trying to sleep in my arms."

Elsa rolled her eyes good naturedly, "She's sleeping now, you have to put her down so she can be more comfortable. Your arms will grow numb soon."

"No," Aiden whined, tucking away the snoozing baby girl from the ice queen to himself, "Don't take my precious stuffed vanilla munchkin."

"Vanilla?" Elsa laughed.

"Mmh," Aiden vigorously nods, bumping his nose against his daughter's sweetly, "Her hair smells like vanilla and looks like vanilla—no kicking, junior."

"She'll be a great warrior someday perhaps," Elsa concluded, "That leg of hers itches to taste some action, I guess that's why she likes to kick."

"Mama's so noisy, isn't she, little girl?" Aiden mischievously met his wife's mocked up glare, "Here now, let's get you beside your brother. Sweet dreams."
•••
"So, how are you?"

Aiden hummed a tune and looked directly at the ice queen taking her sweet time threading her fingers in his hair right behind, "Mmh?" At some point he doesn't get her question.

"I've been separated from you all day," Elsa pouted, sitting on his lap and sluggishly resting her head on the crook of his neck, "I don't know, just talk about your day, lover. How was it?"

"Stressful," Aiden sighed heavily, "We predicted to arrive by noon, but I'm afraid something have caused a little delay which caused us to get home by past midnight."

"And what's that certain thing that caused you all to delay?"

"A secondary bearable blizzard in the... borders, of the kingdom. On the way home."

"Secondary? So there was a first?"

"Casting that aside, I'm still deciding if we should already make a move with what I'm about to tell you... But I don't want to ruin the rest of our holidays. I want to spend them with you and our children, without thinking about anything else."

"Whatever you're about to tell me, I'm sure everything will be okay," Elsa comfortingly consoled, brushing her forehead next to her husband's, "Let's discuss it later over tea if you want."

"Alright," Aiden slyly smiled, "But before that, what about you? How are you?" His eyes drifted off to the peaceful bassinet next to their shared bed, and his smile broadened into a grin.

"Oh, you should've seen their new milestone, lover," Elsa gushed softly, "Our Chandler and Aria can already roll on their stomachs. I found my poor prince crying his little mouth out, belly pressed against the mattress. Presumably he was stuck and he couldn't roll back on his back, and maybe a moment later Aria followed."

"So nothing stressed you out?"

"Mmh... Nothing," Elsa smiled.

"Good," He wrapped an arm around her petite body, "Remind me to reward our little snowflakes for behaving while their papa was away."

"Sleepy yet?"

"Sad to say, no," Aiden grumbled, lying down, "I'll try and fail."

"Why, this grumpy man," Elsa giggled, clambering down next to him, "Nothing got you like this before. What's the catch, my king?"

"Never mind discussing it over tea. Let's just talk about it tomorrow," Aiden muttered, eyeing the grandfather clock standing against the wall, "Come'ere."

"I'm no longer sleepy, if that's the case," Elsa folded her arms playfully.

"I have my advances, pretty eyes," Aiden mocked a stern growl with love evident in his eyes. Kneeling, the well endowed king of Arendelle effortlessly picked up his thrashing wife and slung her gently as if she's a sack.

"Why you–Fireheart! Put me down this instant!" Came Elsa's giddy squeal.

Aiden simply smirked.

"We have to retire for the night eventually, minn elska."

To be continued
on the next chapter...