Chapter Six: Struggling Connection

Start from the beginning

Fowler looks up from his work. "What are you still doing here?"

I twiddle my thumbs nervously in my lap. "I just want to apologize for Hank's behavior. I thought... I thought he was doing better, but I guess I was wrong. I should have known. I'll try to get through to him again."

Captain Fowler gives me a small smile. "Thank you, Y/N. I really appreciate it. Just reminds me how right I was to partner you with Hank."

I smile back at him. "Thank you, sir. And... well... as for Connor... The android didn't mean to tell you how to do your job. Connor just has noticed that Hank doesn't like androids very much. Connor knows they're a sensitive topic for him for some reason."    

"If that's the case, then don't you think you should tell the android the reason?"

I shake my head. "No. It's not my story to tell. Connor needs to figure it out for himself or Hank needs to tell the story."

"Alright." Fowler nods in understanding. "Whatever you think is best. Just... get out of my office."

I nod, getting up from my seat. "Yes, sir. Have a good day." I walk over to the door of the office and leave, shutting the door behind me before walking over to where Connor and Hank are talking.

"In any case," I hear Connor say, "I'd like you to know I'm very happy to be working with you and Y/N. I'm sure we'll make a good team."

Hank says nothing, just continuing to sulk in his chair.

I plaster on a smile as I approach them, putting a hand on Connor's shoulder. "Hey, you two!"

Connor smiles at me before looking back over at Hank. "Now that the three of us are officially partners, I thought it would be good to get to know each other."

Hank doesn't respond at all so I pipe up, removing my hand from Connor's shoulder before replying, "That would be great! You two should come to my house later today."

"I'm busy," Hank grumbles.

"Oh, come on, Hank. It could be fun."

"Leave me alone. I said no."

"But Hank, I-"

"NO! I SAID NO! Just... leave me alone."

I take a step back because of the initial shock of Hank raising his voice at me, managing to plaster my smile back on. "Alright, well..." I look over at Connor. "What about you?"

Connor nods cordially. "I'll be there."

"It's an invitation, Connor. Not an order. Come if you want to."

Connor looks surprised for a moment, but then a smile spreads across his face. "I'd love to go."

I smile at Connor warmly before turning to sit down at my desk.

Connor looks from me to Hank and back again. "Is there a desk anywhere I could use?"

"No one's using that one." Hank points to the desk next to mine and diagonal to his.

 Connor walks over to the desk Hank pointed at, sitting down. The android stares at the computer for a while before looking up and over at Hank. "A lot of people don't appreciate having androids around... I was wondering... Is there any reason in particular you despise me?"

I glance up from my work, gritting my teeth at the awkwardness.

Hank nods slowly. "Yeah... there is one."

Connor waits patiently for Hank to tell him the reason, but frowns when Hank doesn't speak any more.

I feel bad for Connor. It's not the android's fault...