Chapter 25 New paths to follow

“You are going to love the city!”Amelia clapped her hands in delight and smiled at Milena widely. “It is near the ocean. Have you ever seen the ocean, Leah? So much water and so loud? And there are shops! More than in the town at home and music and oh! I can’t wait to show you everything!”

Daniel hid his grin behind his hand and looked out of the carriage window. It was a two days travel to reach their destination and he had booked rooms at a well known establishment that had a good reputation. They would stay several days. Enough time for Amelia to find a dress for herself and Leah while he himself would handle some of his own affairs. He would speak to his banker and oversee some of his investments. And of course, he would take some time to show Leah around.

He let his eyes rest on the girl, who was listening to Amelia’s rambling. He could tell she was far more please with Amelia’s excitement than with the prospect of dress-shopping.

It made him smile.

She was so different from the other women he knew. None of the young ladies he’d encountered would willingly help the stable  boy groom a horse.

As if feeling his gaze, she turned to meet his eyes. She was uneasy. He could tell by the way her hands fumbled and her eyes flickered.

He gave her a warm smile to comfort her, but she only looked down.

“… we arrive? Daniel?”

Daniel blinked and turned his attention towards his sister. “I am sorry. What did you say?”

There was an amused twinkle in her eyes. “I asked when we will arrive in the city. How much further is it?”

Daniel glanced out of the window again. “We should probably arrive before nightfall.” He grinned, “Don’t worry, little sister. You will be able to visit the shops tomorrow.”

Milena listened as the siblings squabbled with each other in a good-natured fashion. She looked out of the window at the passing landscape. She was nervous about the city. She didn’t like crowded places.
But she would go, if only for Amelia. Her friend was so excited.

Milena closed her eyes and enjoyed the small breeze that played with her hair. If she tried hard enough, she could almost imagine being with the kumpania, traveling the roads. She could almost hear Laszlo’s voice as he spoke to his horses, and Aranka singing. Sergei would tell one of his stories and Alec would tease Daria about Petsha. Would he have spoken to Cezar yet?  Did Daria wed?

“Leah.”

Milena turned to Daniel. He was looking at her with concern.

“Are you tired? It won’t be long now, I promise.”

She shook her head and cast him a careful smile. The look he gave her in return made her uneasy. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust him, but there was a warmth in his eyes that should not be there.

Only one other person had ever looked at her with such affection. And thinking about him hurt.