Chapter 37 The heart is like a river

Days turned into weeks and winter progressed slowly. It was strange, Milena thought, not so long ago, she would have travelled the long and winding roads regardless of the cold. She had loved it. Now she sat at the fires of the hearth of Blackwood Manor and she was grateful for it.
Was she getting used to the gadje lifestyle?

"Leah?"

Milena turned around and looked at Daniel questioningly.

"I didn't mean to disturb you," he apologized.

Milena shook her head. He wasn't disturbing her. She had only be dozing off.

Daniel smiled. "I was wondering if you would help me with something. I had the old cabin repaired that used to belong to my father's steward. I mean for Harun and his father to live there." He offered a sheepish smiled. "The cabin's ready now, but it could do with some decorating."

Milena smiled and nodded eagerly. She hadn't known Daniel had been arranging all of that.
When the news had come that Harun would stay away longer, she had been so sad to hear it. Emily had been downright upset. But if Harun and his father could come to Blackwood, everyone would be happy.

"I have already sent word to Harun," Daniel continued, "I promised to do my best to sell his father's workshop for a fair price. He can't manage it anymore, but he's willing to do some chores around the estate if his health lets him."

The two of them walked down the corridors of the manor. Milena wondered if he realized how much he was rambling. She found it rather amusing.

When they reached the storeroom in the back of the house, Daniel halted. "There's some old furniture in here that hasn't been used in a while. I thought we could sort it out. I'll have someone transport it to the cabin."

Milena nodded and Daniel smiled. "Good," he said, and he rolled up his sleeves.

Slowly and carefully he lifted a small table. He groaned as he put it down. He wasn't used to heavy lifting. When he saw Milena's amused expression, he offered a sheepish smile.

Milena shook her head amused and took two chairs from the storage. She lifted them with ease. With a smug smile she carried them towards the main entrance.

Daniel chuckled lightly. His eyes followed her all the way down the corridor. She had completely enchanted him. It was getting harder by the day to contain his feelings. In the weeks she had been living at Blackwood Manor, his love had only grown. It was the way she held herself. How much she loved his family, his sisters. The way she treated Emily as if she were a real sister made him smile. That was what had made him love her. Or perhaps it was the way her eyes lit up when she was excited. Or the tease in her eyes when she laughed soundlessly as she made fun of him without even speaking. Like she was doing now.

She was strong and not opposed to hard work. So very different from what he knew.

He shook his head and picked up the table. He groaned slightly at the weight, but was determined to show the girl he was not some weak little lord. He'd show her he was worthy.

***

"He spends to much time with that girl." Cecily held a disapproving frown on her face as she watched Daniel's trek across the porch with Milena.

The two had been collecting furniture to bring to the old cabin.

"Just leave them be, Cecily," Ruth warned. Her eyes were on the thread and needle in her hands rather than on the youngsters. "They are enjoying themselves and each other's company. And they're doing something useful at the same time."