Chapter 26 Home is where the heart is

“And that way is the harbor, where all the ships come in. And here you have some of the finest restaurants.” Amelia walked arm in arm with Milena and pointed out every little  thing they came across.

Behind them was Daniel, keeping a close eye on the two girls, but leaving them to enjoy the city.

Milena wasn’t sure where to look. It seemed every inch of the city had been utilized. It was so crowded, it made her a little uncomfortable. If it hadn’t been for Amelia clinging to her arm, and Daniel behind her, she would have probably bolted.

Then again, if it hadn’t been for them, she probably wouldn’t have been here in the first place.

“Oh! There is the dress shop!”

“And that is my cue to go,” Daniel smirked behind them, “I will see you ladies later at the teashop, alright?”

Amelia smiled brightly. “But not too soon.”

Daniel shook his head in amusement. “I don’t want you two walking the streets alone in the dark. I’ll give you two hours. That should be plenty of time. We will still be here tomorrow.”

“Daniel! A woman needs time to find the perfect dress!”

“A woman, yes,” Daniel grinned, “now off you go, girls.” He winked and strolled in the other direction.

“Oh!” Amelia gasped. She took Milena’s arm. “Come, Leah. We will show him.”  She pulled the girl towards the shop with a determined face.

***

“Really Emily, what were you thinking?! Going out in that weather? On your own? And to those dirty stables! No wonder you have fallen ill.”

Emily coughed and her mother pulled the blanket closer around her.

“I don’t want you to go there again.”

Emily’s eyes went wide. “No!” she rasped, “please mother. I have to.”

“Don’t be silly, Emily,” Cecily ran a hand through her hair, “that is no place for you.”

Emily’s lip trembled. “Why? Why can’t I have friends?” She coughed again.

Cecily sighed. “Of course you can have friends. You have friends. Jane for instance.”

Emil sighed. Why wouldn’t her mother just listen to her? She had enjoyed helping Harun, even if she had done little of significance. At least he didn’t treat her like some fragile porcelain doll. “I want to go back,” she tried to sound firm, “once I’m well again, I want to go back.”

Cecily stood up from her chair and smoothed out her dress. “I will not discuss this with you now. You need to rest. Agnes will bring you some broth later and then the doctor will see you when he arrives.”