Chapter 29 Names in the wind

Emily Blackwood laughed delighted and clapped her hands. "I did not know you could dance like that, Leah," she gasped.

Milena smiled at her and straightened out her skirts. The crowd had dispatched and only the four of them remained. She didn't even know how she had ended up dancing, but she was happy for it. She had missed it, like she had missed everything in the kumpania. And Emily's next words, no matter how innocent, only made it hurt more.

"I wish I could see how your people celebrate one day. It must be wonderful."

Milena averted her eyes and tried to ignore the way her chest tightened.

Harun noticed the sudden change in atmosphere and looked at Milena with sad eyes. He had heard her story bit by bit from the other servants at the Blackwood household and he could only imagine how alone she must feel. His own mother had cried many times over the loss of her family and they had been alive. She had chosen it herself.

This was much worse.

Emily too seemed to realize the effect of her words and bit her lip. "I am sorry, Leah. I did not think. I did not mean to make you cry. Please forgive me."

Her voice sounded so fragile and small that Milena felt her heart breaking. She turned to the girl and hugged her tightly.

Behind them, Henry cleared his throat. "Miss Emily, perhaps it is best if you two return to the mansion and the feast."

Emily looked at her lap. "Yes, of course," she replied. Henry was right. They should not have stayed out here this long. She looked back at her friend to ask her to wheel her back, but the girl's attention was somewhere else at the moment.

Milena slowly walked up to the saddled horse a few feet away. She knew that horse, she had seen it before in the courtyard at Blackwood Manor and she had thought she'd recognized it then. Now, seeing it once more, and up close, she was certain. It was Carmen's horse. The one that pulled her wagon. Why was it here? With gadje? The kumpania would never sell the horse to gadje. Unless...

Her hands started to shake and she slowly raised them to touch the horse, as if making sure it was truly there. Tears were forming in her eyes. Who else would be gone? Who else had she lost to gadje cruelty?

"What are you doing with my master's horse?" A young man, probably a few years older that Milena, narrowed his eyes at her.

Milena only stared at him, only half comprehending his angry question and unable to answer.

"Well?" the boy demanded.

"Leah?" Emily looked at her concerned. Harun had pushed her chair towards the girl. She looked at the young man. "Is there a problem?"

"She's touching my master's horse, that's the problem!" the young man snapped at her.

Harun narrowed his eyes at him. "Show some more respect for Miss Blackwood," he said in a warning tone.

The man looked at him and then at Emily. He gritted his teeth and a deep crimson spread from his neck to his cheeks. "Forgiveness Miss," he muttered.

But Emily was not so easily swayed. This man had been rude to her friend. "I had asked you a question."

"'Tis my master's horse, Miss," the man answered much more humble now, "he's very fond of the beast. I can't allow strangers to touch his possessions."

"She's not doing anything wrong though," Emily pointed out.

"And she seems to know the horse," Harun added.

The man blinked. "Know the horse? It's just an animal."

Harun narrowed his eyes. "Judging from your earlier words, it's not 'just an animal' to your master."