Chapter 14 The girl from No Man's land

Milena took a step backwards in fear. She should have known. It was too good to be true. Gadje would always turn against them in the end.
All the memories she had tried to suppress came flowing back and she was scared.
They would hurt her.
And this time there was nowhere to run. She had allowed herself to lower her guards, to trust them.
And now it was too late.
“Where is it?!” Cecily demanded.
“Mother please,” Daniel soothed. He looked at Milena. “Taking something that’s not yours isn’t right, Leah. Just give it back and we’ll forget about this.”
Milena stared at him in disbelieve.
“Don’t comfort her,” Cecily said, “search the room.”
Daniel sighed sadly. “I am sorry,” he told Milena and he walked towards the wardrobe.
“What is the commotion about?” Amelia’s soft voice sounded from the doorway.
She looked at the people in the room with concern and her face was pale. “What’s going on?”
“Nothing sweetheart,” Cecily said, “just catching a thief.”
Amelia’s eyes went wide and she looked at her brother. “Daniel?”
“Come dear,” Ruth gently took her granddaughter’s shoulders.
Amelia stepped away and walked further into the room. “What’s going on? Leah?” she looked at her mother, “who is a thief?”
“I’m sorry child,” Cecily said, “I know you were becoming fond of her, but the gypsy can’t be trusted. She took your bracelet from your room, dear. She wanted it for herself. Anna saw her take it. It’s a good thing too. Who knows what else she would have taken?”
“My bracelet? “Amelia said surprised.
“I’m afraid so.”
“No,” Amelia said.
“Yes child.”
“No,” Amelia said again, “it is not true. She did not take it.”
“I know you don’t want to believe it, Amelia. She is very good at deceiving.”
“No mother. You misunderstand. She did not steal it. It was broken. She heard me say it… wait... I will show you… Please. Please wait. “ She hurried out of the room.
“Where are you going? Amelia?”
“Leave her mother,” Daniel said, “I want to know what it is she wants to show us.” He truly hoped the gypsy girl was innocent.
It didn’t take long for Amelia to return. “See?” she said, “my bracelet’s here. She only took it to repair it. See? Leah’s made it even prettier than before.” She showed them the jewelry. The gold coins glistening in the early sunbeams.
Daniel carefully took the bracelet from his sister and studied it. It was true. The small trinkets were beautiful.

Anna leered at the piece of jewelry and narrowed her eyes. “Where did she get the gold? She must have taken it somewhere.
Cecily had come closer as well to study the bracelet.
“No,” Daniel said in thought as he ran his fingers over one of the gold pieces. “I have seen them before.” He looked at Milena. “They were on your dress when I found you.” He let out a surprised laugh and handed the bracelet to his grandmother.
“Well,” Ruth said content, “it seems everything has turned out well.” She looked at Anna. “It appears you were mistaken.  Think an apology would be in order.”
Anna hastily curtsied. “M’lady.”
“Not to me, girl,” Ruth said coldly. She didn’t care much for the servant girl, but she did her work well.

Anna gritted her teeth and turned to Milena. This was not supposed to happen. They were supposed to send the gypsy girl away. “Forgiveness, Miss,” Anna said stiffly.
Milena nodded warily. She didn’t understand the anger in the servant girl’s eyes. Why did Anna hate her so much?
“Well, now that’s settled, we can finally go downstairs and have breakfast,” Cecily sighed. She turned around and strode out of the room.

Ruth looked at Anna. “Next time you shouldn’t be so quick to accuse someone,” she said, “I will see past it this time. Do not let it happen again. “
Anna cast down her eyes and curtsied before quickly rushing out of the room.
Ruth placed a hand against Milena’s cheek. “I’m sorry for all of this. You have a  good heart child. Please forgive them.”
Milena looked at her sadly as the woman retreated from the room.
Daniel too looked rueful. “I will see you downstairs,” he said quietly.