Chapter 187: Golden Age (EP. 02)

"HIYAH!"

The brash, clickity-clack of multiple steeds' clopping hooves dug through the dispersing mounds of earth mildly, symbolizing every rider's determination to reach their desired location.

Each horse's mane wafted every now and then with the wind crossing past their thin straight tendrils, and the midnight black stallion leading the others in a full gallop was the only one to be recognized bearing the crocus insignia of Arendelle.

Wind, water and snow harshly bonded and made the Scavenging League along with the King of Arendelle—the rider of the prime dark stallion—struggle and cope in hopes of arriving at the ending borders of the kingdom... Which is not really what it appears like anymore.

Aiden rode Noir like he can never ride him again, and he felt guilty for pushing the faithful steed to his limit, but apparently Noir is stronger than he thought. The fire king's black locks are soaked, snowed on and drenched, but he couldn't care less. He was starting to believe the spy master riding his own horse Trigger, not so far in tow behind him followed by Magoo.

Noir's ochre eyes blazed and squinted, the horse trying to shield his vision from the rushed specks of white dust. Aiden clasped the stallion's leather reins tight and murmured a muffled apology, and the howling wind seemed merciless.

Breathing heavily, Heine growled against the air and outstretched an arm, a gesture the Scavenging League are trained to be familiarized with.

"League, scatter!"

"Roger, Sjef!"

"Doing alright, sire?" One of the scavenging team's members managed to catch up next to Noir, "We have reached the destination less than an hour without the current winter storm by daybreak earlier, but now..."

"Everything will be fine," Aiden forced up a smile with gritted teeth, "May I ask, are we still far ahead? I feel like we're grasping around the dark with this blizzard."

"We're near, don't worry your Majesty," The scout assured, "I think it would be best if the construction of the new villages will be ordered to start after December."

What for?

A village, beside a forest? Do you jest?

Aiden could only nod cluelessly. He haven't had the slightest idea what Heine is trying to show him, but while the weather this arduous hour is very unfriendly, he has a good feeling that the sight he is about to witness will be far from bad.

As if someone above have heard their silent prayers, the collision of wind and water began to calm their intensity until only the slow drift of snow remained, yet Aiden still does not like the idea of getting to see his own ghostly breath.

The replacing fog was present, but Heine couldn't care. The fog soon parted ways and revealed a clearing and allowed the large group to drive their steeds forward, hooves now in a calm and paced state as they trotted eagerly.

With Heine still following after the fire wielder's steps next to the General, Aiden wasted no time dismounting from his horse and squinted, bracing himself from the unusual blinding sunlight.
After recovering, the fire wielder trudged through the snow to get a closer look of longed for view.

So when Aiden blinked—and finally saw what the similarly gobsmacked Scavenging League have fortunately obtained by miraculous fate, he held onto dearest Magoo for support.

Woah.

Like any margin of a massive land, one would expect to be welcomed by the beginning horizon or foreground of the ongoing depths of the sea, with its waves kissing the dampened hard soil from time to time. But even though Aiden completely mistrusts his eyes at this moment, all the words of disbelief he wished to say died in his throat in a skipping heartbeat.