same but different?

warning: i used a popular theory in this chapter, if you don't agree then sorry, you're not going find the story very appealing.

"hey, aang...? can we talk?" ty lee whispered quietly. aang raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly. the two slipped out of the house undetected, aang made a gale of air that pushed both him and ty lee up on appa.

ty lee giggled and petted the soft fur of the gigantic sky bison. aang said, "yip, yip!" and they were airborne.

ty lee looked uneasily at aang, who returned the look of awkwardness.

"so... what did you wanna talk about?" aang asked slowly, looking around at the skies.

"have you ever gotten the feeling that we're kinda alike?" ty lee said with a slight stutter.

"us? alike? uhm... no, not at all, i mean, there are so many reasons that clearly show we're not alike. you're a girl— well i think you are— you are a fire nation citizen and—"

"that's just it! i'm not a fire nation citizen."

"come again?"

"believe it or not but, you're not the last airbender. i can do pretty much the same things as you."

"uhm... ha, that's funny... i get the joke, you can stop now."

"aang! it's not a joke! how many years do you think i've kept this bottled up? how many times did i have to knock someone out because they saw me airbending? way too many. ...i came to you because you're the avatar, you yourself are an airbender, why would you think i'm kidding?"

"well, uhm," aang didn't know how to respond.

ty lee was right in front of him, looking desperately at him, trying to make him believe that he's not the last of the airbenders. aang rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled nervously.

"sorry... guess you are telling the truth, huh? well... it hit me pretty hard, to realise that i'm not indeed as special as i thought i was, but that's me being selfish beyond selfish, isn't it?" aang said doubtfully, shaking his head and looking down at appa's saddle.

ty lee smiled reassuringly and put a hand on the boy's shoulder, causing him to look up.

"it's okay. it's only natural for you to think that. but... all in all, you get another airbender to spar with, no?" ty lee said. she smirked at the look of sheer happiness on aang's face.

"oh yeah! that'd be awesome!" aang exclaimed, throwing up his hands in excitement. "when do you wanna spar? and where?"

"hmm... maybe every saturday, from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm? and we can use the far west side of the island."

"fine with me."

"great!"

"i've got a question though, who else knows?"

"mai and zuko."

"oh, okay. but what about azula?"

"are you mental? azula wanted to kill you because you were the 'last' airbender! how would she react when i tell her?"

"true but c'mon, ty lee! she's changed now... she doesn't have it out for my nation anymore. and she deserves to know, she's your girlfriend, right?"

ty lee narrowed her eyes at aang in annoyance. she sighed and cracked a smile.

"well... azula and i are not dating in a serious way... it's just been kisses," ty lee confessed, smiling uneasily.

"sure..." aang replied with a suggesting smirk.

"huh?"

"you are so serious dating."

"well-well no, but i want to... but i don't think azula would want to seriously take our relationship to the next level though, i mean, she's the fire nation princess! and i'm an airbender in hiding..."

"she doesn't care about your place in the world, she loves you, okay? put that in your head."

"...thanks, aang. for a 13-year-old, you're very good at giving advice."

"a hundred and thirteen."

"whatever, wind bag."

"hey, hey, we're both wind bags!"

"you wouldn't say that if i hadn't told you."

"true, alright... let's go home, okay?"

as soon as aang touched down, azula poked her head out of the door, looking for ty lee and the avatar.

ty lee hopped down from appa and was immediately confronted by azula.

"where've you been?" the princess looked from ty lee to aang with a look that showed how suspicious she was. azula leaned in on ty lee and raised an eyebrow.

"well?"

ty lee blushed and smiled sheepishly, "hm?"

"where've you two been?"

"u-uhm... now's not a good time, sorry 'zula."

ty lee kissed azula on the cheek and hurried inside to avoid awkward questions.

azula blushed slightly and watched as her crush started to talk to katara.

aang did his best not to laugh or look suspicious, but he couldn't wipe the smirk off of his face.

azula turned back to aang, who merely smiled sheepishly and hurried inside after ty lee. azula rolled her eyes and smiled softly, she made her way back inside. her eyes seemed to keep drifting to ty lee.

ugh, what's wrong with me...? azula questioned herself as she tore her eyes away from her. why does she have to be so cute?