Chapter 55: Rivals

En başından başla

"I was reaching for something on top of my closet. The stool I used wobbled and I fell," I shrugged. "How are you here? You don't have a schedule today?" I raised an eyebrow and I glanced at Betty who was typing away on her phone.

"No schedules today, but I'm jammed packed tomorrow," he said and I nodded.

I gazed around the room and it was pretty well lit. It was also not as dull and boring they make it out to be in movies. The yellow and white colors on the wall made it warm and welcoming.

"Johnny and Mark will be coming later," Betty said as she placed her phone away, "I'm going to order us lunch, are you craving anything?" She asked and I shook my head.

"You decide," I said and she nodded.

"What about you Lucas?" She asked. Lucas turned away from looking at me, to look at her.

"Anything Chicken," he said and Betty nodded before she made her way out of the room.

"What were you even reaching for?" Lucas asked once Betty was out. He grabbed a chair and placed it next to the bed. He sat down and his hands hang on the railings of the bed.

"I was bored. And thought of organizing pictures in a box I had. I've procrastinated through many summers," I said and he nodded, "since I can't really use my phone I thought I do that."

"Well if you're going to reach for something in high places, next time call me," he joked and I shook my head as I let out a giggle.

"What about you? I doubt you were planning to visit me today," I said.

"Well true," he chuckled, "it would've been too soon since I confessed," he said as he avoided to look at me. He stared at my blanket. His cheeks tinted pink for a moment. "I was planning to hangout with Jungwoo today," he said looking at me with a smile, "it's been a while since we just hangout," he said letting out a chuckle as he gazed down, "ever since he joined NCT 127 he's been busier and since I'm in my own fixed unit we barely see each other."

"I'm -"

"The next word better not be sorry," Lucas said and I kept quiet, "I knew it," he laughed, "I'm glad to be here. I'm not happy about why I'm here, but being next to you makes me happy," he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Why?" I asked and he raised his eyebrow, "Why now? Why tell me you ..." I took a moment to compose myself and say the next words, "Why confess you love me? I don't want to sound mean or harsh. But your timing really sucked."

He let out a laugh and nodded his head, "You're right. My timing does suck," he sighed as he looked down and then up at me, "but the truth is, I was scared of losing you. I was scared that I won't ever get the chance to say how I truly feel. So I told myself the moment you woke up, I was going to tell you. It didn't matter to me if it was appropriate or not. I just needed you to know, that I love you. I've been in love with you for a while now and I can't keep these feelings to myself anymore," I stared at him and a few tears formed, "I know you're in a very complicated situation. I know I'm not supposed to stress you out. But I had to and I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner," he sighed and stared at my blanket, "would it have made a difference though?" He asked as he looked up at me. His eyes were glistening. He was looking at me the same way he looked at me at the park. Everything about how he looked at me felt so different, foreign somehow. It was like - I was seeing him for the first time.

I blinked my eyes and I broke the daze of staring into his, "What would have made a difference?" I asked as I looked down and fidgeted with my hands.

He gently held my left hand and I looked up to him, "Would it have made a difference if I told you sooner?" He asked his hand slightly squeezing mine. I stared at our hands and thought about it.