5. The Hand You're Dealt

"You don't have to sit here with me like this," Lizzy said as she eyed Geneva.

        "Of course I do!" Geneva replied even though her ass was killing her. 

        Lizzy's face was still puffy, but with her eyes opened, the jade green brilliance as sharp and intelligent as they'd ever been, the woman looked more alive than hours before. Before, when Adrian was inches away from touching the unconscious blonde.

        After Lizzy woke up that first time, Geneva had been so excited. She wanted to share her excitement and triumph with Adrian. But he'd vanished again, right before her eyes. A cool trick that she was admittedly envious of. It was all for the best. She didn't know if she could keep her hands off of him if he stuck around. 

        "Seriously. Go home. You've been here for hours," Lizzy said. Her voice was much stronger now and that bossy vibe tainted her words. 

        She was right, Geneva had been here for hours. She'd stood watch when the blonde went back to sleep and had hung around when Lizzy woke again much later in the evening, looking and feeling better with each passing hour. 

        "Did you want me to call your brother now?" Geneva asked her friend hesitantly. 

        Lizzy rarely talked about her family, and spoke very briefly of the painful rift between herself and her younger sibling. He lived in the same city with his long time girlfriend and Lizzy hadn't spoken to him since his birthday last fall. 

        "No, I'm fine now," Lizzy said in a tone that broached no argument. Geneva could take a hint. Besides, she was not so great with familial love herself. 

        She'd only very recently been appointed as Cupid which meant that she had a very strange relationship with her adopted mother and boss, Aphrodite. Nope. Family was not her forte. 

        "Okay then. Did you want to talk about the accident? While you were out again, a detective came by. She was only here for a few minutes with her partner but they did want to see you and ask some questions," Geneva said. 

        "I really don't remember anything. Just bright lights," Lizzy described. Her voice was thick with emotion and Geneva could see that there were tears at the corners of her swollen eyes. 

        Geneva felt the responding clench of her throat. She empathized with others easily but because Lizzy had become a good friend in these last eight months, Geneva felt an attachment to her that was practically sisterly.

        "Hey, it's okay. Just rest. When you're feeling up to it, I'll call the detectives," Geneva said.

        They sat in companionable silence for a time. Lizzy slipped in and out of unconsciousness because the pain medication made her groggy. Four times, someone came in to check on Lizzy's vitals, a different person every time. Geneva asked them to bring her something, too worried about leaving Lizzy alone, but they must have been too busy because she sat there, starved. 

        "Who were you making out with?" Lizzy murmured softly. 

        Geneva jerked, startled by Lizzy's voice breaking the stretch of silence.

        "Hm?" Geneva stared at her friend, trying to discern from her bruised face any hint of a joke. 

        "When I came to, I saw you tonguing some guy dressed like a twentieth century goth nobleman," Lizzy claimed. There was amusement in her voice even though her lips arched into a frown.

        "I..." Was all Geneva could manage.

        "Don't lie to me, Genny, you're horrible at it. Now tell me. Who'd you make out with? You didn't tell me you had a boyfriend," Lizzy pressed.