13. Depression: A Cupid's Guide

Geneva rubbed her eyes and squinted at the screen. A few of her readers send actual letters but most of them ask for her love advice over email. Her inbox held over four hundred unread emails. Every hour, she accumulated twenty more from all over the country. 

        Unlike other advice columnists, Geneva actually answered each and every one of her emails. Most of them were repetitive enough that she could reply in a few seconds. Some of them are complicated and murky and require an afternoon to think them over. But no matter what, she replied with heartfelt honesty. 

        Her job was mostly digital. Once a week, her column was printed in the Daily Chronicle. Once a month, she was printed in Cosmo. And everyday, she was published on her website, Cupid Chaos. 

        Due to the flexibility of her job, she spent most of her time with Lizzy. She talked to her friend about possibly moving in permanently but Lizzy has an independent streak wider than her gluttonous appetite for ice cream. Geneva was in no position to leave her friend alone. Especially not since the surgery.

        The healing process was much smoother than before. The limb no longer produced a fiery ache in Lizzy's bones. The shadows of pain mostly faded from beneath Lizzy's clear green eyes, but they were still a little hallow.

        Adrian came to her, unbidden, to tell her about Lizzy's desperate summoning. Summoning Death was easy, and Lizzy had handed herself over on a silver platter. Geneva could tell that it was hard for Adrian to resist. It was his duty to fulfill the bidding of fate and his path was temporarily altered. He could have ended the entire thing that day. But he restrained himself. 

        It only made her like him more.

        But the fact that Lizzy was in such a horrible place made Geneva aware of how vigilant she would need to be. Lizzy wasn't used to depending on others. That much was evident on her refusal to even contact her brother when she'd been so permanently injured. 

        Which was why it was so important for Geneva to help her through this. Without anyone having to tell her, Geneva knew that she was the meddling sort. She couldn't keep her hands to herself. Knowing anything and everything about Lizzy was as important as getting her to fall in love with Brian. Only, love with Brian would have to take a back seat now. Perhaps it was the denial of love that made Geneva so motivated to meddle into Lizzy's life.

        Geneva stared at that email to make sure she read it correctly. The sender was an Anthony Crenshaw, Lizzy's brother, agreeing to meet with her for coffee to discuss Lizzy.

        Around noon, Geneva told half of the truth, omitting the other half. Out for coffee with a friend. Lizzy believed her without question and returned to her book. The Cupid felt very guilty about her omission but only felt a fraction better with the conviction that this was all for Lizzy's well being.

        The coffee shop was nearly empty at noon on a Tuesday. She spotted Anthony right away sitting at a grouping of old dusty couches in the corner by the well-filled book shelves. He looked up when she walked in and Geneva could see his green eyes widen just a little in surprise.

        "Hi, are you Anthony Crenshaw?" Geneva asked when she approached his table. He cradled a ceramic mug of steaming coffee in his large pale hands.

        "Yeah. Yes, I mean. You can call me Tony. Everyone calls me Tony Crenshaw," he replied as he pushed himself up to standing and reached out a hand for her to shake.

        That hand was hot from the coffee, almost feverish and damp with it's recent heat.

        "I'm Geneva. I'm sorry we have to meet under these circumstances but I'm worried about your sister and she's so stubborn, she won't always accept my help," said the Cupid as they both took their seats.