22. When Death Obeys

AN:  No apology is grand enough for my devoted fans. I'm sorry. Here is a token of my love for you. 

"And the winner of the Most Badass outfit, by your outstanding votes is Lady Z!" They clapped for Lizzy, cheered for her. She'd turned into the night's sweetheart but she hadn't meant to be, hadn't realized people would find her so enchanting. Lizzy spent more than half the night looking for him. Her eyes were never still, always searching, hunting.

Lizzy waved, arm up high, a smile so big it hurt her cheeks. She'd come looking for her little prince, but he'd been elusive. She considered that he may not have shown up on time, Genny assumed he'd flaked. Online love affairs were hard, she'd said. Meeting people in person, assessing if they are likely your match, that was far more accurate. Lizzy wasn't sure she understood. But then again, there were a lot of things about Genny that Lizzy did not understand.

For instance, why Death kissed her. **Literally, not figuratively**. Hardcore making out. But Lizzy wouldn't pry, not today. Not when her mind was so preoccupied with other equally personal things.

The emcee handed Lizzy her ribbon. A monetary prize would come later in the form of $500.00. And as lovely as the money was, Lizzy could not help but feel disappointment spike through her. Biting and insistent. He wasn't here. He'd flaked. Just as Genny--optimistic Genny--had predicted.

"Congratulations! I didn't realize there would be a fashion contest!" Genny exclaimed as she drew Lizzy into a long and familiar embrace. Hugging Genny was like hugging the sweet sun rays that dappled through tall forest canopies. A sense of peace overwhelmed Lizzy and almost made her forget that she was feeling a little annoyed that Genny wasn't as supportive of this online beau. Almost.

"It's been happening every year. I've just never won before," Lizzy replied, distant and nearly monotone.

Then she saw him, his head bobbing through the crowd of people coming at the base of the stairs to talk to her. He was trying to get to her, as desperate to be near her as she was for him.

Lizzy didn't care if she was being rude. She shouldered her way through the throng, reached out a hand to him as if they were both at sea. It felt a little silly but she couldn't stop herself from thinking that this was a rescue, that she was going to save him. That he would save her in return.

*****

"Oh my Goddess!" Geneva gasped. She saw Adrian. He saw her. Their eyes equally widened in horror at what would occur. The couple was meeting, and this would be the end of their deal. The culmination of it, right here and now. In the crowd of leather and latex, of tits and pierced cocks. Liz was going to die here.

Geneva reached out to drag Liz back from the brink but it was too late. Her friend's hand made contact with Brian's and he drew her into his arms. Into the hallow space he'd saved for her and they were perfect in their embrace. All the warmth, the halo of love, sweet and delightful, shimmering around them. The crowd, as if cognizant of this aura, gave them space and seemed to disperse, returning to their cages, to their whips, to their spanking and gyrating. Love looked almost foolish here in this den of depravity. But Geneva knew that Love belonged everywhere, no place could bar it.

No place but where Death lived.

Adrian was by her side, watching with her. The couple, the lovers, were whispering to one another. He raised a hand to her, to show her his list. Elizabeth Crenshaw's name glowed red among the plenty. Overdue.

"I don't know what to do," he admitted to her.

"Don't take her, not yet," Geneva pleaded.

"We had a deal," Adrian replied in a low pained voice, as if reading a script. He knew the ending. It played out in all honesty in his eyes and Geneva watched it helplessly. The only way she could think of saving Lizzy was to do what she had done this entire time.