Dancing and Desperation

"Woah," I say, gazing around the square. The sun hasn't quite set, but bright lights and holograms of every colour are already illuminated above the various restaurants and clubs. "This is insane."

"Right?" Adora says, beaming. "I haven't even tried half of these places yet."

"Ah, I spotted the crab place," I say, pointing towards a large, holographic sign with animated crab pincers opening and closing. "Subtle."

"Oh crap," Adora says, quickly leading me up the narrow, stone stairs. "I hope they still have a table at this time." She pushes open one of the double wooden doors, where my nose is greeted with a salty, spicy aroma.

"Smells great," I say, my mouth filling with saliva.

"Tastes better."

"Adora. You're actually drooling."

"Don't care," she says, licking her lips.

Just inside the entrance, a tall salinean man with a long, twirled moustache, greets us. "Ah, my favourite customer!"

"Hey D," Adora says, rushing forwards and pressing her hands together. "Please tell me you have a spare table, otherwise I might die."

"Well we can't be having that," he says, laughing, then turning to me, "Who's your lady frien- oh." His face turns sour. "We're full."

"What!" Adora says, her eyes turning watery. "Come on D, don't be like that."

"I lost family to these people, Adora," he says, folding his arms. He flicks his hand in dismissal.

"But Catra's different now, she helped save us all and-"

"Leave it, Adora," I sigh, slumping my shoulders. "Come on, let them keep their crab to themselves."

Adora follows me outside, to the large, circular courtyard at the bottom of the stairs. I sit on one of the benches down there and rest my elbows on my knees, watching as Adora sits next to me.

"I'm really sorry," she says.

"Me too," I say, sighing. "I know you wanted to eat there. You still can, if you want. I don't mind."

"Hey," Adora says, placing her palm on my back. "I'm with you. Nothing on etheria would change that now, not even crab legs."

I lean against her and rest my head on her shoulder. "My, aren't you a charmer," I say, enjoying the feeling of her hand as it slowly strokes up and down my back. I watch as people in the courtyard go about their business, some of them laughing, others gesticulating wildly, maybe describing their favourite place to eat, or maybe having some kind of argument. I could listen in if I wanted to, but I'm too distracted by Adora's hand, sliding up my back and then her thumb, rubbing across the nape of my neck.

"Are you okay?"

"I guess, but," I say, purring at her gentle touch. "This stuff's always going to come back to haunt me, isn't it?"

"I was Horde too, remember," Adora says, placing her arm around my shoulders. "But everyone's forgiven me. It just takes time."

"And in the meantime, I can't even take my girlfriend to her favourite restaurant."

"Oh, say that again."

"Huh?"

"Girlfriend."

"Hah, idiot," I say, leaning up and kissing her cheek. "Okay, what's our plan B?"

"How about we go somewhere I haven't been," Adora says, standing up and holding her hand out. "That way it's new for both of us."

"Okay, let's pick the first place we find," I say, lacing our fingers together. "I don't want you starving to death."