Rooftops and Regrets

It's dark outside, and almost silent save for the occasional rustle of wildlife nearby. The stars are glowing brightly in the clear deep-blue sky, and etheria's moons shine as brightly as always. Framed by one of the moons, the largest of the three, is Brightmoon's main spire; so high up that you can barely see the peak from the palace grounds.

"Ready to lose horribly?," Adora asks, smirking. She lightly tugs at my jacket collar. "I can't believe you're still wearing that."

"I'm going to win in style, princess," I say, loosening my tie.

"If you say so," Adora says, crouches down, appearing smug for some reason. "Ready, steady..."

"Go!" I yell, sprinting ahead of her.

I jump against the first thick stone pillar, gripping my claws into the concrete and leaping vertically, higher and higher, until I land on all fours on the angled rooftop above. It's been a long time since I did something like this just for fun, I think . Just to play, or in this case, just to wipe that smug grin off Adora's face.

I hop swiftly across the rooftop, loving the feel of the breeze as it whips through my hair and fur. When I reach the next set of pillars I chance a glance backwards, finding that Adora's already quite far behind, and if I wasn't so exhilarated by the climb I'd take a moment to feel sorry for her. There's no way she'd ever be able to beat me at something like this, afterall.

She pauses atop the rooftop and smirks, then I notice a maniacal grin spread on her lips, and moments later she holds her arm out, and a golden glow spreads around her form.

"That's cheating!" I yell, wasting no more time in staring. So, she wants to make this difficult, does she? I think, clambering up a smooth, domed rooftop, and almost losing my grip. I hear noisy footsteps stomping closer and closer, causing adrenaline to surge through me, and I can't help but giggle while I pounce away, barely maintaining the lead as I jump on all fours from one rooftop to the next.

Suddenly, a pair of gold-trimmed boots stomp down loudly in front of me, and I peer up, scowling.

"Hey, Catra," Adora purrs, looking so smug that I'm seriously tempted to push her from the rooftop. Instead, I stand up, curl my tail tightly around her thigh and yank her close.

"Hey, Adora," I purr, standing up on my tiptoes, reaching a hand behind her neck, and lightly trailing my nails across the flesh there. Sucker , I think, listening as Adora's breath catches in her throat.

I quickly scale up the next wall, laughing while Adora stands there, stunned.

"That's cheating!" I hear Adora yell eventually, from the distance.

"Says you!" I yell back, grabbing onto a window ledge, then leaping to another, hopping onto a balcony and climbing up to the purple dome above.

We're not far from the peak, where a pair of ornate, golden wings surround the large central spire. I leap to the base of the thin granite tower and quickly clamber up, climbing as quickly as I can, the golden peak soon within reach. A few moments later I reach my hand out, grab the pole and cheer triumphantly.

"I win!" I yell, flicking my tail around.

"Are you sure?" Adora's voice, her breath hot against my ear.

" WHAT? "

She suddenly materialises into view, with Melog curled up in the crook of her left arm, and her right arm gripping the spire, just above my fist.

"You little traitor!" I exclaim, pointing a finger into Melog's fluffy belly. "Just you wait."

"She promised me fish."