Hurt but Healing

" Huntara?! " I exclaim, trying to leap away. My right leg buckles at the exertion, and I land in a heap, grabbing my thigh and wincing in pain.

"Wow," Huntara says, tipping her head towards my leg. "Someone sure did a number on you."

I prick my ears back and hiss. "What do you want?"

"I'm not the one who wants anything," Huntara says. She bends down, grabs my wrists and quickly ties them together. "This is for my own protection. Nothing personal."

"You're lucky I'm hurt," I say, stretching my fingers, unsheathing the claws on my left hand. My right hand doesn't respond at all, and my fingers throb with the effort.

"Yeah," Huntara says, rolling her eyes. "Lucky me."

Suddenly, Melog roars and pounces towards her.

Huntara grunts, lifts an arm and shoots some kind of projectile which spreads into a large net, halting them mid-pounce. "Nice try."

Melog growls, and begins to glow an angry shade of red.

"You should ask them to calm down, otherwise they'll hurt themselves."

"It doesn't work like that," I seethe, trying to yank my bound hands apart, but soon stopping when the pain in my wounded hand flares up.

"So. How are we gonna do this? Want me to carry you?"

I stand to my feet, wobbling a few times on the way up. "Absolutely not."

Melog growls louder, thrashing around erratically while Huntara grabs one end of the net. "I said make them calm down. Otherwise I'll have to get my tranquiliser gun."

"Fine," I say, taking deep breaths, convincing myself this will all somehow be okay. If she wanted to hurt us, she already would have , I think. Melog's colour gradually shifts to a more neutral purple, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Good. Follow me," Huntara says, heading towards a large boulder, dragging Melog's net with her.

"Wait," I say, limping behind. "Can't you release them?" I ask, tipping my head towards the net. "Please?"

"I'd rather not get mauled, if it's all the same to you."

"They'll play nicely if I ask."

"And I should trust you?" Huntara laughs, dragging the net further.

"I am unhurt, worry not," Melog says, visibly relaxing within the net. "You should try to discover her intentions."

I nod towards Melog, and limp alongside Huntara for a while, before clearing my throat. "So, are you going to tell me what this is about?"

Huntara glances at me, rolling her eyes. Then she lifts a communications tablet up. "Yeah. Yeah. She's here. Right. Gotcha."

"What the hell is going on?" I ask, holding my wrists up, "And is this really necessary?"

"The Queen wants a word with you," Huntara says, crouching down to face me. "And yes, it is. I know what those claws can do."

I scowl, lowering my arms.

Huntara folds her thick forearms and glares at me. "Just a little further, and we'll be on our way to the rendezvous," she says. "Then I'll be gone, don't you worry."

I scan up and down her huge form, sizing her up. Sure, she's stronger , I think. But faster? Smarter? I doubt it . I look down at my hands, thinking that with a few bites I should be free. But then again with my injuries, I might not get far.