"ive become friends with one of the landlords, and he told me about this secret spot. i technically wasn't supposed to show anyone, but i won't tell if you don't."

his confusion turned impressed and he nodded forwards, indicating me to start going up.

the ladder wasn't super stable so i moved slowly. as i turned the first corner i lost balance, but clay grabbed my hand to stabilize me.

i grinned in appreciation, and when he started to pull away i squeezed his hand to mine. a simple act, but it gave him the reassurance that i was okay with it.

i had realized that george was right. there were lots of signs that he was interested, but he was worried about something.

i was glad he didn't want to pressure anything, but damn it if i wasn't sick of it.

we finally reached the second roof and i pulled his body closer to mine. the wind was soft but chilled, and there was not a cloud or building in sight.

i finally let go of his hand and found a spot to stay. it was getting pretty late, and since i felt adventurous without worrying about consequences, i decided to sit on the edge.

i carefully got to my knees, then swung my legs around to sit cross crossed, staring out at the city skyline.

it took him a bit, but Clay joined me on the edge, his feet dangling off the edge of the roof. He leaned back on his hands and i could see the moons reflection shining in his eyes.

those eyes. they were becoming my weakness.

we sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, just taking in the view. he had moved fully on to his back, and pulled me down with him.

"you're not gonna make me lie here all alone will you?" he asked me with a cocky grin, and though i rolled my eyes i settled down next to him.

"you are literally the biggest dork i've ever met; swear." i giggled and poked at his shoulder trying to get him to move.

he finally took a hint and stretched his arm around my shoulder, pulling me tighter to his chest.

i glanced up at him, but he was completely entranced by the sky above us. i followed suit and we just laid there, watching the sky.

"y/n, quick, make a wish! there's a shooting star!" Clays voice cut through the silence as he pointed to the star flashing quickly above us.

a slight frown spread on my face as i shut my eyes and made my wish.

"i wish that Clay would stop messing around and just kiss me."

i thought i had said it in my head, but as i felt his body tense under mine, i came to the realization i had in fact not.

i propped up on my arm and looked at him, but he didn't look back. from the dim light we had i could see his face burning red, and my heart twisted with guilt.

before i could make another bad decision, my instincts kicked in.

i reached out and gently touched his shoulder, and to my suprise he didn't pull away. my eyes flicked up and down his face, trying to get any signs of what he was thinking.