7

George's POV

I heard loud bickering between Wilbur and the people on the call, but I remained silent. A few moments later, Wilbur turned to me to check if I was alright.

"I need to say something to you in private. Please." I was desperate to pour my feelings out, and Wilbur was the one chance I had to explain.

"Yeah, of course." He informed the others and muted himself on the call. Then, turning to me, he said, "Go on..."

I nervously swallowed and laid back down on the white sheets, thinking about what to say. "So, I um, I know what's wrong with me."

Wilbur was oblivious to what I was referring to, and said, "George, nothing is wrong with you, you're perfect the way you are."

I mentally cringed and said, "I mean, I know what disease I have."

Wilbur's face expression contorted to confusion and then surprise. "Oh!"

We sat in silence for a bit before I continued. "I have something... something called hanahaki. It's um, a thing where you cough up flowers and blood..." I stopped, feeling ridiculous. There was absolutely no way Wilbur would believe me.

On the contrary, Wilbur looked concerned and intrigued. "That explains the petals. Go on."

I nodded weakly and prepared myself mentally to announce my biggest kept secret. "I... well, you get hanahaki when the person you love doesn't love you back." At this, his eyes widened and he began to understand.

"George," He began carefully, calculating his words. "You're gay."