Chapter 9

I must admit I really liked talking to the elven girl throughout our journey together. She knew how to listen, always asked insightful questions and seemed genuinely interested in humans and their culture. She had a strange sense of humor too, very different from what I was used to. We didn't stop talking even for a second for several hours and it wasn't even tiring, on the contrary, I was enjoying every moment of it. Until the topic of relationships came up.

"What? You humans live with the same person for you entire life? That's the strangest thing that I ever heard about you."

"Why is it so strange?" I asked, slightly bothered by her opinion.

"I mean it must be so boring. And the sex? How is it even exciting if you do it with the same person over and over again?"

"Sex is not only about pleasure but the intimacy too."

"I know but still..." she seemed unconvinced. "Maybe it's different for us elves because we live longer. Pairing for life would mean that you'd spend three hundreds years with the same person." she flinched at the thought.

"So how does it work in your culture?"

"We have relationships like you do, but they're never expected to last a lifetime. Usually after a few years both sides split up and look for new partners. It just seems so logical. You're together until love fades and it stops being exciting. What's wrong with that?"

"I don't know, but there's just something appealing in loving someone so much that you're willing to spend an entire life with that person." I argued.

"Yeah, but you shouldn't assume that it will be like that. What if you're no longer in love with that person? Then the entire marriage thing prevents you from being happy with someone else."

Her reasoning was perfectly rational, but I couldn't help feeling upset. She noticed it and tried to explain:

"Maybe it's different for us because our sexual drive is much weaker than in humans."

"It is?"

"Yeah, I mean some couples go months without having sex. It's so rare that we just feel that we should use every opportunity to enjoy it. And that means that we have to be much more liberal in our approach to sexuality. Sometimes when two elves meet and feel that spark, they just agree to have sex without any feelings involved. Even having sex with someone other than your current partner is generally accepted. We don't see it as cheating, it's just seems natural. If both sides want it, why shouldn't they do it, just for fun? Even more, it would simply be a waste not to use every opportunity to enjoy something which can be so pleasurable."

"You make it seem so mechanical, so devoid of emotions..." I said sadly.

"I guess it's just difficult for you humans to understand, with all your raging hormones..."

"Excuse me?"

"Didn't you try to kiss me just before the basilisk attacked?" her question confused me even though I knew that it would come up sooner or later.

"I just... you woke me up and I didn't know what I was doing..."

"You want to tell me that you didn't want to kiss me?" she stared right into my eyes.

"Of course I didn't!"

"You're a terrible liar, Ninivai. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Just so you know, I'm willing to have sex with you, so if you want it too, just ask."

"What? Are you... what?" I stammered out looking at her with shocked eyes.

"I'm just saying I'm willing to do it."

"I can't... I can't stand how... cold and practical you sound when you talk about it." I burst out, annoyed. "Fine, I wanted to kiss you, but I don't anymore. I wouldn't want to do it with someone who treats it like some... business transaction." there was an immense reproach in my voice and she sensed it.

"Please, it's so obvious that you still want it, by the gods, why can't you just admit it?" she asked in an annoyed voice.

"I don't! And let's just drop this topic, shall we?" I barely contained my growing irritation.

"As you wish." she shrugged, frowning.

"Great."

We stayed in silence for several minutes, both aware of the rising electrifying tension between us.

"Could you try walking a little slower? Your legs are longer than mine." I said angrily.

"Then move them faster."

"You know what? Sometimes you can be such an annoying-"

"At least I'm not a prude afraid of my own desires-"

"Shut up!"

"Make me."

I stopped walking and looked at her furiously, her eyes were visibly mad, but it didn't make them any less beautiful.

"I swear to god, you're so..." I started speaking when suddenly we rushed towards each other and our lips clashed so fiercely that it almost hurt, I've never had such a violent kiss before and my arousal skyrocketed. To be honest, the most exciting thing was that Lisa wasn't wasting any time, I already felt her hands gripping my butt and her tongue hungrily roaming against my lips. By pressing my body against hers I gave her a clear signal that I wanted more. She lifted me up with surprising ease and I wrapped my legs around her waist, our lips still tightly pressed together. But then we heard a hissing sound and were abruptly interrupted by an arrow hitting the ground, just next to Lisa's feet.