Chapter 9

They both were silent to each other the rest of the plane ride. Neither of them wanted to talk to the other because of the conversation that crossed between them no more than an hour before.

Spencer was feeling guilty about snapping at Aspen. Like he had said, he didn't mean to and it wasn't her fault.

Aspen wanted to ask him what had happened to make him react like that. But she was scared of getting the cold snappy response again. So, she just opted to not say anything at all. 

The plane landed a few hours later in St. Louis. Most of the team was groggy from falling asleep during the plane ride, except Aspen.

She was trying to figure out what she did wrong to make Reid act that way. Maybe he didn't like the comment she made in the bullpen; she really didn't know.

She sighed, shaking her head as she got back to the task at hand, which was getting all the equipment out of the trunk of one of the cars. Why did they need so much stuff? And why was it so goddamn heavy? She thought as she unloaded it all.

She hadn't realized Spencer had come around to the back of the car until she had to climb into the trunk to get the last remaining bag. The heaviest one.

"Do you need any help?" He asked.

She looked over her shoulder from her position inside the car, then turned back. "I'm fine, Reid, but thank you for offering." She said, pulling the bag out as she scooted out of the back, pulling the bag along.

When she finally climbed out of the back, she pulled the bag out, intending on swinging it over her shoulder but the bag was too heavy. So, she ended up falling on her ass.

"Shit." She mumbled. Spencer tried to catch the fall and failed.

He bent down to give her a hand up, but she just held a hand up in a stopping motion and got up herself, brushing off her pants.

"I'm fine, Reid." She said again before he could get out the question.

"See you in there." She added, picking up the bag she could barely pick up, and walked into the station. Leaving Spencer standing there by himself to process what had just happened. 

The station was crowded, overly so. With people running all over, the team smack dab in the middle of the chaos. Turns out another body was just discovered sending the station into a frenzy. Hotch sent Morgan and Emily to go down to the new crime scene and he and Rossi went down to the place where the 4th body was discovered. Spencer and Ace were on the investigation and suspect board.

Well, Aspen was. Spencer opened a file and pretended to read it. She knew this because he has been on the same page for the last 16 minutes. Aspen decided not to push it and let him do his thing while she did hers.

Aspen was running around the station, trying to get information from everyone she could, writing down anything useful and calling Garcia when she needed files on certain people.

Spencer watched her work. He never understood her mad way of thinking but in the end, it always worked out. She never really stopped working. He thought, always being the one to give information instead of him, giving him a run for his money most of the time.

He watched her as she talked to Garcia over the phone, clicking a pen on the table as she did.

She was rambling off codes for the Linux system the police station ran on since they were not given access to the files. She decided to have Garcia hack it.

It always amazed him how much she knew about technology, he figured that's why she and Garcia got along so well.

"You got in?" She asked Garcia with a hopeful face.