54. BIGGER, BETTER THINGS

Start from the beginning

The doors to the hall are pushed open and the wedding party dances in, happily, allowing the guests already situated to stand and clap along. Elijah pushes himself to stand and clap along, watching as the group of people shimmy along.

Aliyah catches Elijah's eye and she sends him a wink before watching as they find their way to the main table. When they're settled, she continues.

"I know y'all are hungry so we're gonna open the buffet table. Enjoy!"

With that, she hands the microphone back to the DJ and walks back to Elijah with an apologetic smile.

He stands to meet her and smirks at her, already knowing what she's about to say, "I know, babe, you got managing to do. I'll be fine."

She pecks his lips and pulls away with a pout, "Are you sure? If not, I can delegate."

"Lee, I'm sure." He presses a soft kiss to her forehead, "Go do what you do best."

She reaches around to pat his butt, earning one on hers in return. Leaning forward, until she's just an inch away from meeting his lips, she looks into his eyes, "Have I told you how much I love you?"

He smirks, his blue eyes scanning her brown ones, "Not as much as I love you."

She kisses him again — ugh, he just can't get enough — before pulling away completely, "I'll fix you a plate."

As much as Elijah wanted to protest and tell her to get off her feet a bit and he would get her food, she raises an eyebrow at him as if knowing what he's about to say.

Rather than protesting, he just smirks at her, "Thank you, Aliyah."

She steps back, a wide smile on her face, "You're welcome, Elijah."

She walks away.

As Elijah watches silently, still sipping from his glass, his eyes catch a glimpse of the same woman he saw earlier. Gianna is standing at the table, a glass of champagne already in her hands even though she'd just walked in with the wedding party.

He's caught by surprise by her sudden appearance and her sudden stare down with him. The feeling of nostalgia rushes through him as eight years of his life flashes before him — and despite all the pain and hurt that the relationship had caused, he's glad that all that happened between them, happened.

Because, at the end of the day, he's sleeping next to the woman he loves with all his mind, body, and soul — the type of love he couldn't find with Gianna.

He averts his gaze to his girlfriend who's smiling with one of the guests by the buffet table, a smile rising on his face in return.

Not even a minute passes before he feels someone's presence behind him.

"I'm starting to think you're stalking me now," It's with grating realization that Elijah figures out that the voice belongs to Gianna.

"Really, now?" He speaks, sarcastically, "I'm not the one who walked over here."

Sighing, exasperatedly, she rolls her eyes, "I just wanted to check on you — we haven't really talked in a while."

Elijah scoffs, "I wonder why that is."

She sips from her flute, a look of annoyance on her face, "So, how long you two been together?"

She juts her chin toward where Elijah was looking just seconds ago. That's when he realizes that she was watching him and Aliyah converse.

He tilts his head, "It's not your business."

"