28. DINNER IN THE PARK

"WHAT ARE WE DOING, ELI?" Aliyah questions, her vision hindered by the blindfold covering her eyes

She can feel his hands around her waist as he leads her in a straight line. She can hear the crunch of grass under her sandals ━ piquing her interest.

"It's a surprise," Elijah jokes, his grip tightening on her waist as she stumbles over a patch of raised grass. Finally, her pulls her to a stop ━ she can feel his chilling breath by her ear, sending a shock down her spine and butterflies to her stomach. He whispers, "You can look now."

Aliyah wastes no time in pulling the sleep mask from her eyes, blinking profusely as she takes in the sight before her.

It's dinner in the park ━ in picnic format. It's the same park Elijah and Aliyah took Maya to all those weeks ago. There's a large blanket laying on the grass, two boxes of food from Island Vybez resting side by side. Fairy lights are laying on the ground, giving light to the blanket.

"This is beautiful, Elijah," She tells him, her voice soft, "Where did you find the time to do all this?"

He shrugs, a somber smile on his face, "I clocked out early. Decided I needed a little time to think."

Aliyah can hear the melancholy in his tone but decides to wait until later to talk about it. Right now, he looks like he could use a drink ━ or two.

The two settle on the blanket, legs crossed Indian style, their knees brushing against the other's.

"So," Aliyah starts when they're sorting out the food and wine, "How was work today?"

Elijah shrugs, downing his glass of wine, "Not good but I don't really wanna talk about that yet."

She raises an eyebrow at his words before nodding. She knows that he needs some time to register whatever it is he has to.

"Let's talk about you," His frown turns into a smirk as he faces Aliyah, his usually blue eyes looking green under the fairy lights, "How was your day, Lee?"

She chuckles, feeding into his attempt to lighten the mood, "Better now. I'm hanging out with my best friend that's not Toni ━ which reminds me; you still haven't told me what she said during your surgery."

A smile grows on Eli's face as he thinks back to two weeks ago when Toni had called him during his tibia repair.

"Well," He pauses, "She told the entire OR that I made you ━"

Aliyah almost chokes on her wine. She swallows, thickly, before holding up a hand, "I'm gonna stop you right there, 'cause I think I already know what you're about to say."

Elijah watches her as she turns her head, his eyes scanning her side profile while she looks out at the empty field, one or two people walking around for an evening stroll.