Chapter 18: Beverly comes over

TW: brief discussion of trauma, and flashback of forced consent for explicit photos

February 1st, 1989

Your P.O.V.

As my therapy session nears its end, I sit in the chair, and tell Dr. Smith. "I think I feel a little more comfortable talking to you about my past now."

"Okay then, go ahead."

I take a deep breath, and start telling her the story. "When I was 10, I realized that I liked one of my friends who was a girl, and I didn't know what to do about it, so I told one of my other friends. His name was-was Ezekiel, and he was 15 at the time." I start sniffling, and tears well up in my eyes.

"Is Ezekiel important?"

I nod my head. "He was one of my close friends." Dr. Smith opens her mouth to say something. "I know that it was a bad idea to be friends with a 15 year old when I was 10. But he approached me first, and told me I was cool for my age. I was also 9 when he talked to me for the first time." Dr. Smith writes in her notebook some more. I continue with the story, but it's hard to do without crying. "When I told him, *sniff* he-he said he would tell everyone in town, unl-unless I did whatever he told me to do." I start crying so much that I start hiccuping.

"Hey, it's okay. You're in a safe place right now. If you can't tell me something right now, I won't push you too much."

"Okay." An alarm beeps, telling us that my therapy session is over.

"We made some good progress today. Have a good rest of your day."

"Bye." I wave goodbye to Dr. Smith, and go to my car. Mom takes me back to school, and I run inside, so I'm not late for class.

I make it to French, right before my name is called for attendance. "Michaud, Y/n."

"Ici." I grab my books out, and turn to the page that's written on the board. Something taps on my shoulder. I turn to see Tozier leaning forward. "Qu'est-ce c'est?" (What is it?

"Je voudrais parler avec toi." (I want to talk with you.)

"Après cette cour." (After this class.)

"Merci."

I take notes, and answer questions until it's time to leave. Tozier walks with me to P.E. so he can talk to me.

"Where did you go during lunch today, and last week?"

"We're not good enough friends for you to know that."

"I'm your friend now? Cool!"

"More like person I tolerate, but yes."

He accepts the answer, and goes to join his friend, Uris. I see Ben, and run to him, change into my gym clothes, then sit with him while we wait for Coach Nelson to tell us what to do.

"Everyone, split up! Guys on one side, girls on the other."

Oh, no. Don't tell me that we're going to do actual exercises.

"We're going to be in teams of two. Girls with girls, and boys with boys."

"Gross." I whisper, but some girls hear me and giggle.

"There is a sheet that tells you what you need to do. You will be partners with the person to the your right. Like this." He points to the first two girls in the row, and makes them partners. The rest of us follow suit, and pair up.

I get paired up with Cady, and I do the exercises first. Cady holds my feet down while I do some sit-ups.

"What's going on with you and Addison?"