Chapter 27: The Play

March 17th, 1989

Your P.O.V

As Addison helps me with the finishing touches with my costume, he gives me a kiss on my cheek for good luck. It still makes me feel a little weird inside, but not as much as when he kisses my lips. Of course, I know that I'm not supposed to feel like this when my boyfriend kisses me, but I kind of like him, so I'm still dating him. I do feel a little bad because he puts a lot of effort into making me happy, and I kind of just exist.

I peek out from behind the curtain, to see the crowd waiting for us to start. The first person to catch my eye is Beverly, she's sitting with my parents, and my older brother and sister. I'm glad they came to see me, they know how much theatre means to me.

As I hear my cue, I step on stage and see a figure in the background. The silhouette of it looks eerily similar to that clown thing that appeared out of nowhere when I hallucinated Calypso. It couldn't be anything other than a hallucination, right? I mean, it didn't touch me, and I couldn't smell anything, so it had to be fake, just my imagination trying to fuck with me.

Although it is too far away for me to hear it say anything, something is whispering in my ear, "You know you could have saved her. But you're just a coward who can't even bear the thought of Calypso." I let out a small gasp. "That's right, I know what you're most afraid of little girl." A sudden flash of light appears where it was standing, and now I'm giving my final bow for the night.

"You did such a good job tonight babe!" Addison hugs me, and I know it's not the only time he's called me babe, but now it just feels weird. "You up for a date at Blue Collar?" The lights suddenly dim, leaving Addison in the shadows and with the most light coming from below him. It makes him look a bit ominous as we head to the dressing rooms to get changed.

Not quite hearing him, I don't say anything. "Hm? ...oh, yeah! Totally." I finally respond, lacking enthusiasm. Although I couldn't tell you why I wasn't enthusiastic, I had always liked him, right? This was just because of that clown silhouette thing, obviously.

With his eyebrows crinkled, he asks, "Are you alright?" He looks concerned, but he gives off an air of disgust instead. It makes me feel the same way I feel when that clown creature is near me. He couldn't be that, could he? Of course not, he was on stage when I saw it. What an absurd idea.

My mind slowly drifting off, I hesitate before speaking again. "Just thinking... about things." Not wanting to tell him anything more than that, I keep my mouth closed. I can never tell him important things that don't concern him, I always get this knot in my throat when I try to talk about them to him.

He places his hand on my shoulder gently as an act of comfort. "Well, I'll meet you there okay?" Addison questions, in a somewhat caring tone, while still having that air of disgust around him.

"Sure," I say, staring longingly at Beverly. "I'll be there." I blow him a kiss, as he is already too far away to give him a real kiss. When I can't see him anymore, I quickly change into my regular clothes, and then go to talk to Beverly.

"So... did I do a good job?" I fiddle with my necklace as I am a bit unsettled after talking with Addison for some reason.

"Of course you did! You should be on Broadway or something!" She exclaims. "But I've told you this before, why are you asking again?" She shakes her head in confusion. Even with her hair slightly messed up from that, she still seems otherworldly, in a good way.

"To be honest, I can't remember anything that happened tonight." I pause, deciding whether or not I want to tell her about it now. "It's almost like I just skipped the show." I decide against telling her right now, so I don't make her worry about my sanity.